cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to download emails from POP server over SSL

JimLineone
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

For over 2 days now the POP3 download from mail.talktalk.net server has not been working with SSL on port 995 but is OK if SSL is turned off (Port 110). I suspect there is some sort of problem with the certificate. This seems to happen every year or so. I reported this on the phone line to be told that it is known about and being worked on and will be sorted shortly, although I wasn't convinced that the agent knew what I was talking about. When can we expect it to be working again?

4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Windows 7 is deprecated as is any version of Outlook prior to Outlook 2016. Your version of Outlook cannot offer the security required by TalkTalk Mail.  The certificate and ciphers were updated on 14 May 2023. What happened on 20th July was that your email software was logged out and then had to recheck the ciphers but those deprecated and out of date ciphers had already been withdrawn on 14 May.

There is a workaround as the email client Thunderbird is still supported on Windows 7 and will offer secure email encryption protocol to TLS 1.2. So, download and install Thunderbird.

Thunderbird email client settings using POP3 accounts for all TalkTalk Mail domains including talktalk, tiscali and their sister email addresses are:

Account Type  POP3 secure Email Account
User Name Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 995
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

JimLineone
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 5

I wasn't aware that I had signed out but presumably that happened because I shut my browser and computer down. It doesn't mean that the problem has been solved!

I am using a PC running Windows 7 and Outlook. I realise that I have an old version of Outlook but it was working until about 20th June. Did you change something on that day or did a certificate expire then? This has happened I think at least once before a year or so ago and probably twice. In the past it gets mysteriously fixed after a week or two although I only find out by trying it now and then. I was hoping that whatever has happened in the past has happened again and could be fixed quickly.

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 5

I see JimLinone has signed out of Community without replying. Case solved I assume and no further help needed.

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

I suspect your email client does not have up to date security ciphers. What device are you using, its operating system version and email software version?