cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

autoforward has stopped working recently.

DaveMcD
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 3

have had autoforward set up and working for years so that all mails arriving at our tiscali address appear in my hotmail account. At some stage recently this has stopped working properly. (Have tried turning it off and on again in my account - even deleted the hotmail account and re-entered)

If I send a mail to the tiiscali account from either my hotmail or Gmail accounts they are forwarded instantly, but mail from other sources, such as bills and statements from utilities etc; including TalkTalk, do not get forwarded.

Dave

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 3

Hi Dave,

How are you getting on? If you still need assistance can you please provide the information Gondola has requested

Thanks

Chris

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

The emails probably are forwarded but not accepted by the recipient mail service because many auto forwarded mail messages fail authentication. TalkTalk consumer mail messages use a strict SPF policy not to allow other than designated senders (that does not include talktalk.net) to send mail messages. The TalkTalk DMARC policy for the recipient is to reject unauthenticated mail.

Banks and Utilities also normally use strict authentication to avoid spoofing of their mail messages.

So, it depends on the receiving mail service and how that deals with unauthenticated mail. Gmail have ramped up their rejections of unauthenticated mail.

Look at one of the bank emails. View the source or header. Top line is likely to be Return-Path: What's the email domain quoted on that line. I'll look that up and give a view on what should happen to that mail message when auto forwarded.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution