cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

FTTP ONT enclosure

G8YDE
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I am going over to FTTP. I have an appointment booked for the change over. My question is " how do I make sure I get an enclosure for the ONT"? I ask this as it only seems to be an option and not part of  a normal change over . Drilling a hole through the outside wall was not an option as it is clad with green concrete tiles . I have fitted a dual wall box and run a short piece of conduit to the outside so I want the ONT to fit over the wall box .

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

Hi @G8YDE 

I didn't know any of them could fit in a back box. I have found this out about OpenReach ONTs:-

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiFyqHJkZ_9AhUGesAKHScDAp8Q... 

This article gives the size of the City Fibre ONT dimensions:-

https://support.aa.net.uk/CityFibre_ONT#:~:text=07x3.,can%20be%20Green%2FRed%2FAmber 

Obviously I cannot guarantee the accuracy of these documents

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 6

A very good question in my opinion.

Openreach do provide enclosures for internal ONT's and these will fit to standard wall boxes. However, Openreach contractors seem to rarely provide these enclosures. You'll need to request the installer does bring and fit the internal enclosure. You'll normally be contacted by Openreach by 'phone or text to confirm the install so that's the time to make sure they do bring the enclosure.

In my opinion all ONT installs should be enclosed in order to protect the fragile fibre optic cable from impact damage e.g. by vacuum cleaners or any general cleaning.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

The dimensions will depend on the make of ONT that they actually fit, sorry I can't be more precise on this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Thank for the reply . Hopefully the engineer will use the conduit path to get the fibre into the house . I can use a blank plate to cover the box . what are the dimensions of the ONT? looking on the internet there seems to be a new one every few months .

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

The ONT is a stand-alone unit that gets fitted to the wall, it does not fit onto any type of pattress.

Keith

0 Likes