cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Potential problems and security concerns with HG635

Message 2 of 2

Hello,

For a while now, I have been on the Fibre 65 package. Shortly before this I had noticed some issues with my internet speed and, since I was interested in a faster package anyway, I upgraded it. However I was not sent a new router, and continued to use the existing one provided by talktalk some years ago.

For many months now (possibly since last year even) the overall download speed has been consistently between 2-2.5 megabytes per second, which is noticeably slower than it used to be before it slowed down on the previous package.

The house was not too long ago fitted with a new master socket, and outside cable connecting the house to the telephone pole. Ever since then the connection has been rock solid stable and I do not suspect that is an issue. Even the downstream rate is consistently much faster than the actual speed obtained.

I have tried various tests including connecting the computer directly via ethernet to the router, and regardless of whether it is wired, or either 2.4 or 5ghz wifi, the connection is always approximately 2-2.5MiB per second whilst being completely stable. Also, the router is always connected directly to the master socket with the standard cable.

I can only come to the the conclusion the most likely culprit is the router itself, and to make matters more strange, whenever I have attempted a network test lately, the talktalk site claims it cannot recognise what model of router I'm using. Remote management is enabled.

This leads me to my other concern, the age of the router. As far as I can tell, the Huawei HG635 has not had any firmware/security updates for a long time now, and this is my primary concern above the speed issue itself.

Ideally I would like to obtain a more current, secure router to replace this one both for peace of mind and also in the hope it might actually fix the strange speed issue I've been having for some time. Is it possible for that reason to be sent the current model of router that would be typically used for a fibre 65 package?

Thanks for your time

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 2

That router is a bit old now. Wait until the support team pick this up when they are back online on Monday and I am sure they will arrange a swap out for you.