cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Router download sync speed has reduced

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 34 of 34

Hi,

I've recently noticed my internet is a bit slower than it used to me.

When i logged into my TalkTalk hub router i noticed that the download sync speed has dropped from 22.4 Mbps to 20.0 Mbps.

When your broadband speed is relatively poor to begin with this drop in sync speed obviously has more of an impact relative to a similar drop at someone who gets  60 / 70 Mbps download speeds.

For several years the sync speed has remained stable at 22.4 Mbps so something recently has happened on my line. 

Can someone look into this?

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 1 of 34

Hi marksc

Thanks for your reply. This part of the master socket (face plate) is classed as non Openreach maintained equipment.

We can arrange an engineer visit or you can purchase a replacement faceplate online.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 34

Explanation of engineer charges here, @marksc:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 3 of 34

Hi, 

After keeping my router connected all week to the test socket via a microfilter my sync speed has now increased to 23.4 Mbps.

So in addition to whatever external fix was done by the OoenReach engineer the front fascia plate of my MK4 socket must have an issue. 

With that said I would not be happy to incur a charge for this fascia plate being replaced. 

It seems very strange to me that this fascia plate which forms part of the master socket is my responsibility. 

0 Likes

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 4 of 34

Hi, 

I've just received a my latest talk talk bill and it includes a call made on my line on the 7th July at 10:30am. There was no one in the property at that time to make a call and I suspect it was the openreach engineer looking into a fault on my phone line who was carrying out some tests on the line. 

Can this call charge be waived? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 34

Hi,

Ok thank you and we'll re-check the connection stats on Friday to make sure that everything looks stable. The faceplate is part of the main socket but Openreach advise that they maintain service up to the test socket so the faceplate is technically classed as internal wiring.

Thanks

0 Likes

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 6 of 34

Hi Michelle, 

I can keep the router connected to the test socket. All I have done is remove the front fascia of the faceplate. That fascia is part of the faceplate that was previously installed by an openreach engineer. So I'm very surprised to hear that I would be charged for an engineer visit. This all forms part of my master socket. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 34

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Would it be possible to keep the router at the test socket for a while just so we can see if the speeds remain stable? We can arrange an engineer visit to replace the faceplate, however we need to advise that this work/visit would be chargeable as the faceplate is classed as internal wiring, as Openreach maintain the service up to the test socket.

Thanks

0 Likes

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 8 of 34

Hi Michelle, 

I connected the router to the test socket and it resynced at 21.8 Mbps. 

It looks like my faceplate has an issue. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 34

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. Yes please, if that's ok, as this will help determine if there is a possible issue with the faceplate.

Thanks

0 Likes

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 10 of 34

Hi Michelle, 

I have no extension sockets. 

I only have one master socket to which I always have the router connected to.

Should I try reconnecting the router to the test socket? 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 34

Good afternoon,

If it's dropping speed when removed from the test socket then this could suggest a possible issue with the faceplate or with any equipment or internal wiring connected to the line. Do you have any extension sockets? Is the router usually connected to the main socket or an extension socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 12 of 34

Hi Michelle, 

After going back to my original setup the sync speed has dropped from 21.8 Mbps to 20.6 Mbps.

Please advise. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 34

Morning,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the speed has increased 🙂 As the fault has been identified and resolved then it should be ok to change back to the original set up. Please let us know how the speed compares following this.

Thanks

0 Likes

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 14 of 34

Hi Debbie,

i received an email saying the issue had been resolved and i can see in the hub router that the download sync speed has increased to 21.8 mb.

Should i keep the hub router hooked up to the test socket?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

Hi Mark

The fault has been assigned to an engineer this morning. We should hopefully have further updates this afternoon.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 16 of 34

Hi Mark

This is still under investigation with Openreach, no additional updates as yet. We'll continue to monitor and update.

Thanks

Message 17 of 34

Hi marksc

Yes please if that's ok.

We will post back here as soon as we have additional updates from Openreach.

Thanks

0 Likes

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 18 of 34

Thanks Michelle. 

Should I keep the hub connected to the test socket for the time being? 

Message 19 of 34

Morning,

Ok thanks for confirming. As the line test has detected a potential external line fault, I've passed this over to Openreach now to complete an external line investigation. We will monitor the fault for any updates and will post back here as soon as we know more.

Thanks

marksc
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 20 of 34

Hi Michelle

can't hear any crackling on voice line. I still think something has happened to my line to cause the sync to be reduced. I just can't afford for the speed to start ebbing away bit by  given my wife and I both work from home 

Can this be looked into further? 

0 Likes