cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Slow Download speed- Upload ok

Rossmilligan606
Participant
Private Message
Message 15 of 15

HI, can anyone help ... I used to experience this same problem in the evenings (not for a year or so now, but ...) the download speed is slow (around 2-mbps) on Fibre65. When it's good, it runs at around 30mbps ish. Upload always tests good, consistent at around 4-5mbps. A line test initially flagged a problem, but then it has been deemed as 'can't identify an issue' ... I need someone to fix it please!! It's been for around the past 12 hours, restarted the router, plugged in via ethernet so not a wifi issue. Thanks in advance, Ross

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi Ross

Thanks for confirming. Engineer visit has been arranged for February 06 2023, AM 8-1

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Hi Ross

Thanks for your reply.

If the speeds dropped at peak time only then this wouldn't be acceptable but we'd then ask our network team to check for peak time congestion, and if this was identified then this would be resolved by the network team.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Rossmilligan606
Participant
Private Message
Message 3 of 15

I’d hope you wouldn’t expect or allow speeds to drop to less that 1mbps and see that as acceptable at any time?!

but it seems that the equipment has been ruled out as the issue and if your network is clear, then an engineer visit seems sensible!?

can you arrange for that please?

Thanks,

Ross

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi Ross

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry to hear that the speeds are still low and varying with the replacement router. If this was related to peak time congestion then we would expect to see the speeds only dropping of an evening not during the day. I've re-run the line test now which is clear. If the speeds are still low when connected wired at the test socket then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property.

Thanks

0 Likes

Rossmilligan606
Participant
Private Message
Message 5 of 15

Yes, new cables and run wired tests … now back down to 0.78mbps down!!

Doesn’t look to be a router issue to me?!

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi Ross

Did you use new cables and filter with this router? Was this a wired speed test?

0 Likes

Rossmilligan606
Participant
Private Message
Message 7 of 15

I’ve managed to dig out an old router.

it seems slightly better initially getting 24mbps down, but with in 5 mins it’s dropped to 6-7mbps.

looks like it’s not a router issue?!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi Ross

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Rossmilligan606
Participant
Private Message
Message 9 of 15

If that’s going to fix it, then great … is there nothing on your network side that is causing the issue?

the router will take a couple of days to get here, and I need the internet for home working, so the sooner it’s fixed, the better.

thanks again

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

Hello,

No problem, thanks for confirming. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi Michelle,

It’s a non-nte socket.
I don’t think I have a spare router, sorry!

Ross
0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Morning,

Can I just confirm, which socket do you have please? Do you also have an alternative router that you can test with?

Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for looking at this.

Just restarted the router, the speeds are now:

3.95 mbps down 

4.6 mbps up

The main socket doesn't have a test socket. Phone line seems clear.

Thanks again,

Ross

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 15

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Are the speeds also low/varying during the day time too? Is there any immediate improvement if you reboot the router? I've run a test on the line which is clear, however the sync speed looks like it is varying. Is there any noise on the voice service? Does the main socket also have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes