cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

g.fast SNR ratio and other connection statistics - how to obtain?

ypwlng
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

How can I find out the signal to noise ratio (SNR) and other connection statistics on my g.fast modem?  It is provided by TalkTalk and the model is Sagemcom F@ST 4370 UK.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi Chris - yes I guess that is what I am trying to find out - i.e. how to access the modem.

I have tried the "common" addresses such as 192.168.1.1,  but I suspect that the access to the modem is somewhat hidden away.  So I cannot even find the modem's management/status page, let alone a place to enter a login.

In regards troubleshooting - as you can see in my original message - I have a list of things to work through.  The first 3 items I cannot fix, but assuming the Engineer is correct - there is no fault with the g.fast at the cabinet.

I have purchased a replacement NTE5c faceplate (not the mastersocket) so that will be on my to-do list to work through.  I need help to identify whether the electromagnetic interference is causing too much noise near my modem/internal wiring.  This is the reason I am keen to be able to access the connection statistics from the modem.

- external fault in g.fast equipment

- external issue nearby causing problems with the cables/equipment (there is construction nearby).

- fault as wiring enters my house but before the NTE5

- fault in the NTE5c faceplate

- fault in my internal wiring after the NTE5

- modem fault is unlikely because TalkTalk sent a new modem 

- electromagnetic inteference (EMI) from the stuff near my modem/wiring

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi ypwlng,

Is there a username and password on the modem?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

The disconnections were happening with the MT-992.  TalkTalk sent a new modem.  Still having disconnections.  I don't think the problem is the modem.  But I would very much like to be able to login to the modem to be able to see the connection statistics so as to help me troubleshoot where the problem is.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi ypwing,

Have you tested with the MT-992, since you started experiencing the disconnections?

Chris

0 Likes

ypwlng
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 8

This is the outage log from my system.

ypwlng_0-1726514869212.png

0 Likes

ypwlng
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

yes I am having intermittent drop outs.  I realise that this has been an issue since about June 2024 having looked at my router logs.  The Engineer has visited 27/8/2024 and stated that the external equipment is all ok.  There have still been intermittent drop outs, and it seemed to settle from 10/9/2024 but then pick up again on 14/9/2024.  Most of these are brief drop-outs, so only noticed if I query the log on my router.  In-between the drop-outs there is generally a good speed (like my normal) i.e. approximately 150/30.

So I would summarise that these are intermittent faults which are brief and not in-fault at the time the engineer visited.  It could be before my NTE5c box, or after it.  I have checked all my wiring.  I have jiggled the cables, connections, jiggled the NTE5c faceplate, etc and tried to provoke or reproduce the disconnection, but not able to.  The phone line sounds clean (when lifting the handset).  The only observation is that a disconnection seems more likely when the weather temperature increases - but again this is not consistent.  The drop outs happen regardless whether the house is occupied or not, day or night.

So in my mind the possible causes:

- external fault in g.fast equipment

- external issue nearby causing problems with the cables/equipment (there is construction nearby).

- fault as wiring enters my house but before the NTE5

- fault in the NTE5

- fault in my internal wiring after the NTE5

- modem fault is unlikely because TalkTalk sent a new modem 

- electromagnetic inteference (EMI) from the stuff near my modem/wiring

I don't expect that the Engineer will agree to check the line quality internally at the point of the modem, only up to the NTE5. Therefore as part of my troubleshooting I would like a way to measure whether my internal wiring is picking up EMI by comparing the SNR (with using different cables, nearby devices on/off, etc).

I still have the previous modem (MT-992) from the original install, so if that can report the SNR and other statistics - happy to use that. 

I hope this explains why I would like to access the SNR and other statistics from the g.fast modem.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Morning,

Thanks for your post. Are you experiencing any issues with your connection/speed?

Michelle

0 Likes