cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Connect full fibre to TP Link Archer VR2800 router

UncleJim64
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

I have just had full fibre installed and am currently using the Talk Talk hub. It does not give as much coverage as my existing TP Link router especially connecting to the tv. This might be down to the position of the router as it has to go through a number of walls to get to the tv. The connection keeps dropping out, which it did not do with the TP link router. My difficulty is that i cannot connect the phone line. Is there a way of connecting the phone line to the TP link router. I have tried a direct ethernet cable from my gigaset phone box. Also tried to connect the phone line direct to the fibre modem. Both times i am unable to make a call. Is there something special in the talktalk hub to enable me to make calls?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Softy
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

I have assumed that your contract with TalkTalk is for FTTP with Digital Voice in which case you can use the analogue phone port on your Hub 2 with your dual mode phone.  You could also use the ethernet (IP) mode of your phone, at the same time, with an independent VoIP provider, at extra cost of course.

If you do not have TalkTalk Digital Voice then you can only use the ethernet (IP) mode of your phone with an independent VoIP provider, again at extra cost.

0 Likes

Softy
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 6

The solution I have is to use the Hub 2 simply as an internet gateway and an ATA for the phone system. This has proved to be very effective.

The ONT LAN is connected to the Hub 2 WAN with a short CAT6 cable. I use a TP-Link AX73 wireless router fitted in the best position in the house for Wi-Fi and LAN with its WAN port connected to a LAN port on the Hub 2 via a 10m CAT6 cable.

The Hub 2 has its Wi-Fi totally disabled and is set on a different subnet to the TP-Link router which is set up in normal wireless router mode with a static IP and this handles everything on our network.

The Hub 2 phone socket has a short cable to back feed into the existing home extension network via an extension socket fitted in place of the original Openreach socket. The extension network consists of four sockets with one DECT base and two modern, low power, conventional analogue phones. The Hub 2 has proved to be capable of operating with these correctly i.e. ring tone, voice, and bell.

In the unlikely event that TalkTalk release the VoIP details, then I would probably ditch the Hub 2 and just use an ATA connected to the TP-Link.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

TalkTalk does not publish VoIP details. All I can tell you is that it uses SIPS (SIP Secure), for signalling & STRP (Secure Real-time Transport Protocol) for voice.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

UncleJim64
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

I am using the WiFi Hub2 which does have the dedicated phone socket. I have a Siemens gigaset phone system which has a C460IP. This has an ethernet connection to enable VOIP calls. I can set up this but would need the dial up connections for Talk Talk. Are these available.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

It is not as simple as that. Assuming you have the WiFi Hub 2 (you do not say if it is this or the Eero) that has a dedicated phone port, You cannot connect a DECT phone to an Ethernet port of your router for two reasons:-

1. The RJ11 connector from the DECT phone is totally different electrically from an RJ45 Ethernet port.
  2. Even if you could it still would not work, because you need to convert the original landline phone to use the correct VoIP signalling & audio IP streams.

This is all built into a hub 2, those with an Eero router & Digital Voice have to use a Grandstream ATA unit to do the conversion. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes