cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Connecting Tplink M4 mesh to ONT direct

Charliehaines
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

I’ve just tried installing the first tp-link m4 unit to my ont via Ethernet and followed the to link app set up for fttp, the ont shows all 4 green lights but won’t allow internet access. I can plug it into my current hub via Ethernet and set it to access point mode and it works but I’d rather lose the hub and go direct to the mesh if possible 

im assuming there is some setting at either end (mine or TT’s) that needs to be changed like the VLan tagging that needed changing when my fttp was first installed but I can’t see anything obvious in the app

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

The other thing suggested was plugging a laptop directly I to the ont to see if that connects

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Hi Keith, thanks for the reply. I already have the TPlink working in access mode off the TT router. I’d just rather remove the Hub from the equation for power sockets, shelf space and an ocd wife!

tplink confirm it should work fine with TT fttp directly onto the ont and even have a settings page on their site specifically for it. 

I have asked on their forum to see if I can get any further help but they are mentioning PPPOE and putting in a username and password from Talktalk which has confused me more tbh

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 9

The point is, is the TP-Link compatible with the TalkTalk network, as yes, there is some configuration that would be required to get this to work anyway. The other solution is to use a TalkTalk router connected to the ONT, turn its WiFi off & connect it to the TP-Link. If you want to go down that route, I can tell you how to configure the TT router to get it working.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Charliehaines
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

Tp-link have already advised on connecting directly to the ONT and I have followed that but no sync. I had the same with the TT hub originally until I was advised to change a setting on the hub (vlan tagging I think) which makes me think it’s a config setting somewhere. But as I’ve already been down the tplink route and had there info I can only guess it’s elsewhere. Disappointed no further help is available as customers using the same units on BT seem to have had it solved from BT’s end

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hello,

Unfortunately we're not going to be able to provide any advice on this as it's a 3rd party device. We can only advise contacting TPlink to see if they are able to offer any suggestions.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Morning,

I've asked our Devices Team now if this is possible and I will let you know as soon as I receive a response.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Charliehaines
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Thanks Keith. I’ve left it in access point mode for now but ideally I’d like to lose the surplus hub now 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and advise you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?