cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Distance from CSP to ONT

TD1966
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

I'm currently on TT Fibre65 and will upgrade soon to FTTP. My current Openreach master socket is just inside the front door, but there is no power there. From there is an RJ11 cable to an upstairs room where the Router currently sits.

Q - Can I have the ONT in a downstairs hallway cupboard where there is a power socket. It would probably mean a run of cable of 5-6 meters from the CSP.

Q - Can I then still keep the Router upstairs as is, and run ethernet cable from the ONT? If so, will that cable be supplied as part of the installation or will I have to provide?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

It doesn't have to come in where the phone line currently enters and yes I think they could probably install the ONT in the upstairs room but again, it would be up to the engineer, they would be able to discuss the best option

Chris

0 Likes

TD1966
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 4

A further thought - does the fibre cable have to enter the premises where the current phone line enters (by the front door) or could it perhaps come straight in to the upstairs room where the router is?

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 4

Hi TD1966,

I would think that it would be OK to have the ONT located in this position but it would really be up to the engineer to decide if it will work

Yes you can keep the router upstairs and connect it to the ONT by Ethernet cable

You would need to provide the Ethernet cable yourself as the one provided is only a couple of meters long

Please also see - Full Fibre Installation | How is Full Fibre Installed | TalkTalk

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes