cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Fibre 150 - Router - DNS name error message

Steveowen1000
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

Evening all,

So the Fibre 150 has been in place on the new HUB2 router since Sunday, WIFI seems to have settled at a steady download average of around 140/149 mbps. 

Last night the wife said since we have gone over to full fibre I cannot my Instagram feed on my IPAD. Pure coincidence I said, let me have a look. She accesses web based/browser Instagram, it logs in fine but when accessing any 'followed' content they will not load, no errors they will just not load.

In my search for an answer I went into the router settings and in the maintenance logs to find 992 pages of DNS name resolution error messages, see attached photo. These seem to be running every 20/30 seconds flagging an error message. 

What on earth is causing the error messages, as per previous posts, not tech savvy so completely lost on this one.

Thanks in advance. 

Screenshot 2024-03-05 192035.png
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 4

Yes possibly, but you would have an uphill battle trying to prove it from the logs.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Hi Keith,

It’s quite unbelievable how you get around all of these posts, thank you for you support feedback you are a major asset to this community.

so the error messages are nothing to be concerned about then. My initial  concern was last night the logs showed it was pinging an error every 30 seconds. This was overnight when there was no activity other than devices/phones that may have been picking up email notifications and the wife playing a 2/3 hr YouTube relaxation video as a sleep background. Would these be the culprits of the DNS queries ?

Thanks again

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

The system log in the Hub 2 records entries for any unresolved DNS queries. There is a bug with this, as these have the wrong classification of Error when they should be Informational. This means that you also can't filter them out & leave anything useful left in the display. I have fed this up as a bug to TalkTalk along with the request to have a tick box to either show these messages or hide them, as there are loads more Informational messages of greater interest.

What is causing them in the first place is any of your devices accessing any websites where the DNS query cannot be resolved. It may not be the main website but a component within that page that has out-of-date links in them. It is possible to work out which device is hitting these pages, but it is not for the faint-hearted!

It is very unlikely to be the cause of your problems though.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes