cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Fibre 500 - Download speed dramatically reduced

cj_uk
Participant
Private Message
Message 34 of 34

Hi,

We had Fibre 500 installed January this year, all has been well with the service up until this Friday (27th October 2023).

I did not use the supplied Eero Pro 6 router but used my ASUS RT-AX82U. Tests throughout this time have been fine, approximately 500mb download and 70mb upload, consistently until Friday.

I noticed, first thing in the morning, that downloading a file was taking a long time. I did a speedtest and found that the download speed had dropped to approximately 10mb but upload was still at 70mb, which is usually is.

I powercycled the router and the ONT, but this did not resolve the issue.

I contacted TalkTalk via live chat and reported the issue to Kyla. She asked what router I was using and I informed her that I have been using my ASUS router since the fibre install. I was then asked to use the Eero router as remote tests are only avaiable when using this equipment.

I setup the Eero router, performed a firmware update, Kyla confirmed that she was able to see the router and told me to check the internet speeds within the router menu. The download speed was roughly 460mb and upload was 70mb. Kyla told me that this is within the tolerances of my package.

I then tried a speedtest from my PC and a tablet, both showed that the download speed was still around 10mb and upload at 70mb. I relayed this to Kyla, but all I was told is that the Eero router is showing 472md download speed and this is within tolerance. The live chat basically finished at this point.

I have subsequently tried other devices and new cat5 and cat6 cables and the outcome was still the same, 10mb download 70mb upload.

The last thing I tried was to directly connect a pc to the ONT, so bypassing any routers. Speedtests still showed download at around 10mb, but when reconnecting the eero router, the test within the router shows download speeds of 472mb.

So, I'm a little stumped, TalkTalk tell me everything is ok as their Eero router is showing downloads speeds that are within tolerance. But, everything I have tried shows that the download speed has drastically reduced. Even trying to watch streaming on a TV nows buffers slightly, which didn't happen before Friday.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 21 of 34

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I know Openreach have another 24 hours but, I thought I'd let you know that our download speed is currently at 2.04mb.

Hopefully they will resolve this by this time tomorrow.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 22 of 34
0 Likes

Message 23 of 34

Ok thanks Chris

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 24 of 34

Thanks. I've raised this as a non-appointed task so Openreach will investigate over the next 72 hours and may contact you directly 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 25 of 34

Hi Chris,

I have now added my mobile number to my profile.

Thanks for raising this with Openreach, really appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 26 of 34

Could you add your mobile number to your Community profile as Openreach may need this if they need to contact you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 27 of 34

OK thanks. Line test is picking up a potential problem so I'll have this logged out to Openreach for further investigation

Chris

Message 28 of 34

Hi Chris,

I beleive I have added it to the correct place.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 29 of 34

OK thanks. Could you add your TalkTalk account number to the private notes sections of your community profile  Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 30 of 34

Hi Chris,

Currently the download speed is 4.43mb via speedtest.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 31 of 34

Hi Craig,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing problems with your service. What are the speeds like at the moment?

Chris

0 Likes

cj_uk
Participant
Private Message
Message 32 of 34

Hi Michelle,

When running a speedtest from any other device other than the Eero router, we are seeing between 5mb and 10mb download and if I connect directly to the ONT I see the same speeds.

I have powered off both the router and the ONT for more than 30 minutes but unfortunately this has not resolved the download speed issue.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 33 of 34

Morning,

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, what speeds are you seeing if you run a speed test on another device? Is it just the PC which is experiencing the slow speeds? Just to confirm, did you try powering down the ONT and router for a full 30 minutes?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes