cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Fibre 500 - Download speed dramatically reduced

cj_uk
Participant
Private Message
Message 34 of 34

Hi,

We had Fibre 500 installed January this year, all has been well with the service up until this Friday (27th October 2023).

I did not use the supplied Eero Pro 6 router but used my ASUS RT-AX82U. Tests throughout this time have been fine, approximately 500mb download and 70mb upload, consistently until Friday.

I noticed, first thing in the morning, that downloading a file was taking a long time. I did a speedtest and found that the download speed had dropped to approximately 10mb but upload was still at 70mb, which is usually is.

I powercycled the router and the ONT, but this did not resolve the issue.

I contacted TalkTalk via live chat and reported the issue to Kyla. She asked what router I was using and I informed her that I have been using my ASUS router since the fibre install. I was then asked to use the Eero router as remote tests are only avaiable when using this equipment.

I setup the Eero router, performed a firmware update, Kyla confirmed that she was able to see the router and told me to check the internet speeds within the router menu. The download speed was roughly 460mb and upload was 70mb. Kyla told me that this is within the tolerances of my package.

I then tried a speedtest from my PC and a tablet, both showed that the download speed was still around 10mb and upload at 70mb. I relayed this to Kyla, but all I was told is that the Eero router is showing 472md download speed and this is within tolerance. The live chat basically finished at this point.

I have subsequently tried other devices and new cat5 and cat6 cables and the outcome was still the same, 10mb download 70mb upload.

The last thing I tried was to directly connect a pc to the ONT, so bypassing any routers. Speedtests still showed download at around 10mb, but when reconnecting the eero router, the test within the router shows download speeds of 472mb.

So, I'm a little stumped, TalkTalk tell me everything is ok as their Eero router is showing downloads speeds that are within tolerance. But, everything I have tried shows that the download speed has drastically reduced. Even trying to watch streaming on a TV nows buffers slightly, which didn't happen before Friday.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes
33 REPLIES 33

Message 1 of 34

Good afternoon,

I'm really glad to hear this, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 34

Hi Michelle,

Just a follow up, I received a call from Becky at the Service team this morning, asking if they service was still working correctly. I'm glad to confirm that there have been no further issues with my fibre connection.

Once again thank you and all the team for resolving this, I really appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 3 of 34

Hi again,

Brilliant, thanks for confirming 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 34

Good Morning Michelle,

Download speed has been fine over the weekend, thank you.

Colin from the Service team will call me later in the week to check if the service is still ok.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 5 of 34

Good morning,

I'm really glad to hear this. How has your connection/speed been over the weekend?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 34

Hi Michelle,

I just received a call from Colin from your service manangement team. Colin informed me that there was a fault at the exchange and Openreach have cleaned the fibre and replaced the associated card.

This has now resolved my speed issue, download is now back to 500mb.

Colin will contact me again next week to confirm that the issue has not reoccurred.

I would like to thank you, Chris and the service team for your time looking into and resolving this issue, it is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 7 of 34

Good Morning,

Thank you Michelle

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 8 of 34

Morning,

Apologies, I'll chase this now.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 9 of 34

Hi Michelle,

Unfortunately, I have not heard from the team yet.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 10 of 34

Morning,

Have the team made contact since your last post? If not then please let me know and I will chase this for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

BenR92
First Timer
Private Message
Message 11 of 34

Hi Craig thanks for updating me. I posted my own thread here referencing yours as well. I'm also in Norfolk so definitely seems there's been an issue that affects us. Hopefully something gets sorted soon as I work from home and it has made it a nightmare!

-Ben

0 Likes

Message 12 of 34

Hi Ben,

I'm waiting on an update or to hear from the fault team, I'm in Norfolk.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

BenR92
First Timer
Private Message
Message 13 of 34

Hi @cj_uk have you had any update on this? My experience has been the exact same as yours except on the Fibre 900 speed. Currently getting 2mb download 100mb upload with the exact same tests and circumstances as yours. Are you in the east / south east by any chance? Still waiting on an update myself but am hearing nothing

0 Likes

Message 14 of 34

Hi,

Thank you. I'll also post straightaway if the team come back to me first.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 15 of 34

Hi Michelle,

Many thanks for your reply and update.

I'll inform you of any updates from the escalation team I receive.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 16 of 34

Hello,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear this. I've passed this over to our Fault Escalation Team now and will post back as soon as I receive an update. It's possible that the team may also try and contact you directly.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 17 of 34

Hi Michelle,

I've just heard from the Openreach engineer, Simon, he called me from the local exchange.

He informed me that the fault is with TalkTalk's equipment in the exchange.

Apparently this has been reported by Openreach to TalkTalk several times as multiple customers are being affected. But, TalkTalk refuse to accept the equipment fault as the reason, even though no TalkTalk engineers have been to the exchange.

I work in the Telecoms industry myself and understand all the information Simon relayed to me. The fault will only be resolved once you send engineer to the exchange and replace the faulty card and until then, multiple customers are suffering with their fibre internet connections.

Hopefully you will be able to escalate the fault as you are currently in breach of the Broadband Speed Code of Conduct.

I do appreciate all the assistance you have given me and hopefully the issue will be resolved quickly.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 18 of 34

Morning,

Great thank you. We'll check back in with you later on today.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 19 of 34

Hi Karl,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Thursday 2nd is fine, I'll be home all day.

Kind Regards

Craig

0 Likes

Message 20 of 34

Hi Craig,

Openreach testing has failed and they can see an issue, but are now requesting an appointment to come to you.

I've booked the earliest appointment, Thursday 2nd AM (8-1).

Is this ok ?

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.