cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Future 500 Alternate router

rushy7
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

im getting future fibre 500 next week but a want to use a 3rd party router with usb sharing ,any recommendations please

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 13

Hi @rushy7 

There is a reason why TalkTalk routers no longer include a USB socket on their routers. The way to access content on there is via the SMB protocol. V1 is the only one you can use and that is highly insecure. Microsoft tells you never to use it. You can either use something like Plex, or a NAS, both of which are far more secure. You can even make a NAS out of an old PC.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

dont think that is what im looking for ,but thank you for the suggestion

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

You install the Media Server on, say, your laptop and the app, available for a wide variety of devices. Full details available here:

https://www.plex.tv/

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

how does that work?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Will something like Plex not do the job? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

yes, i want to have a usb port so i can network films etc around the house

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hello,

We can't recommend a 3rd party router, however one of our members may be able to offer some advice. Is there any reason why you don't want to use the TT router?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Any suggestions at all from any users? thanks

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 13

@rushy7 

Any router with a WAN input should work, but you will be on your own when it comes to setting it up. Other TalkTalk customers do manage this successfully and perhaps a kind passer by with direct experience will advise you further. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 13

I can't make any suggestions, as I use TalkTalk's Sagemcom Hub 2.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

hi,sorry men`t to say router !1 edited the post

any suggestions at all?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

You do not need a modem at all. Full fibre is terminated by the ONT, you just need a compatible router.

Keith

0 Likes