cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Hive hub not connecting

jimbo1984
First Timer
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

Hello, like many others I have been having a problem with the Hive hub not connecting.

This has worked fine for years, but a few weeks ago a contractor cut the cable in the exchange and my fibre was down about 3 days.

When it was restored everything except the Hive hub reconnected, the green light just flashes.

I've tried all the tips, different cable, different Ethernet port, they all show status UP on the router dashboard, I've restarted, made sure the firewall is on low.

Also been through the troubleshooting with Hive on webchat, they say it's not connecting to the server and their final suggestion was to make sure the ports are open:

The router ports required by Hive Hub are
UDP port 123 (NTP)
TCP port 443 (HTTPS)
TCP port 5671 (AMQPS)

I set up port forwarding rules but it doesn't seem to have helped, this is on the FAST 5464-2.T4

I've seen several posts with the same problem but nobody seems to come back with a final update so not sure whether this is even worth further troubleshooting? Any help welcome, thanks.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi littux,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own topic and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

littux
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 13

Did you get this problem resolved? I'm facing same issue from couple of months and TalkTalk support just kill the time as always.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi jimbo1984

Do you still need help with this? Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Morning,

Do you have an alternative router that you could test with please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

jimbo1984
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 13

Hi, yes I have tried factory reset on the router and the Hive.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hi James

Did you try the factory reset? (pin hole reset)

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi James

Thanks for your reply.

Can I just check, have you recently completed a factory reset (pin hole reset) for ten seconds?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi Debbie, yes please, my hub is still offline.

I tried turning off any home safe things in my account in case that was stopping it from connecting inadvertently but doesn't seem to have helped. I've restarted everything and the green light still flashes slowly to indicate it can't connect to the Hive server.

Interested to hear any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

James

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi jimbo1984

Do you still need help with this?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 13

Let me know if I can help any more.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

jimbo1984
First Timer
Private Message
Message 11 of 13

Hi Keith, yes it does indeed connect fine to the router, I can see it in the device list.

I have changed the firewall back to medium. I also cannot see why I would need to do anything with the router as it worked ok before. The last Hive agent said the hub will need to be manually added back to my account, so I wonder if this is some kind of contrivance on their part. To what end? I'll leave that to your imagination.

I suspect that there is actually nothing wrong with the hub, as the controller has not lost the time. The true test will come when BST ends, if the time changes correctly then the hub must still be receiving something from the internet.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

Just to make sure the Hive connects to the WiFi Hub 2 OK, but cannot connect to the Hive server out on the internet? If your Hive initiates the connection attempts, then no port forwarding will ever help as that is for devices on the internet trying to connect to one of your local devices. Not knowing a lot about the Hive, it could be possible that you connect to their server on the internet and then it initiates another connection back to your thermostat. In that case, you would need port forwarding.

However, as this started when your fibre went down, I cannot see why you should need to add PF rules or change the firewall level. It should be set to medium, when set to low, other devices connected to your 5464 might be being put at risk because of it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?