cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Unstable connection with low fluctuating speeds, 0.5-80mbps

pf001
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

Hi there

I have had Future Fibre 500mbps since September 2021 and normally it's been running between 515-520mbps (which I think is the max of that tier) so I've been pretty happy with it.  When I signed up, the black Sagemcom router was included, before Eero was offered.  Early on I noticed the wireless speeds weren't great if I wasn't in the same room, so I bought an Asus RT-AX86U and everything was good. 

When I came home Wednesday evening, something was wrong - when I could finally load fast.com, it showed between 300kbps and 1mbps, with really high latency (~500ms), and I couldn't get on the talktalk account pages at all. 

I tried connecting my laptop directly to the ONT, also restarting it (and resetting with the pinhole button), but no joy.  The lights on the ONT are still on as they should (Power & PON solid green, LAN flashing with activity, LOS is off).  

I managed to start a line test by tethering my laptop through my phone and this showed a fault (reference number REP-12640304 and REP-12640445). 

I called phone support on Wednesday to see what I needed to do to get things up and running again, and after some basic troubleshooting, the only advice was that I need the Eero router, and then he suggested leaving it overnight and calling back yesterday.  I was away for work yesterday so called this morning. 

After 2 hours of troubleshooting this morning when I was cut off because apparently 3 has a 2 hour call limit, again the suggested resolution was that I should be using the Eero router.  After an hour from being disconnected, I still haven't had a call back like he said he would at the start of the call, and don't really want call back to start the process again. 

Today I am getting 75-100mbps. 

Unless there's been a change where the Eero is now required to get the full connection speed, the router model shouldn't make any difference, right? 

What do I need to do to get this fixed? 

Cheers

Paul

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi pf001

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

pf001
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 16

Hiya - just to update... I'm back to full speed again, seems the future fibre team has sorted it. 

Thanks both for your help

Message 3 of 16

No problem. Yes they'll probably contact you directly

Chris

0 Likes

pf001
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 16

Thanks Chris, will they make contact directly? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

OK thanks for trying. I'll pass this over to our Future Fibre team and ask them to take a look

Chris

0 Likes

pf001
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 16

Hi Chris,

Just tried now and got 74mbps down 71mbps up when connected directly to the ONT.  

Paul

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

OK thanks. Have you tested with a device connected directly to the ONT with an Ethernet cable? If not would you be able to give this a try and let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

pf001
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 16

Hi - it took a while for the LOS LED to go out but now it has, and I'm connected again. I just got 60mbps down, 72mbps up.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16
0 Likes

pf001
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 16

Ok I will try now... will update shortly. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi,

Ok, would it be possible to try powering down the ONT for a full 30 minutes and then to retest the speeds again please?

Thanks

0 Likes

pf001
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 16

Hi Michelle,

I left the ONT off whilst I got my laptop so it was off only a few minutes, but otherwise yes that's all correct. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hi,

Just to confirm, if you connect directly at the ONT with the router removed and then run a speed test wired, the speeds are still low? Have you also tried powering down the ONT for 30 minutes and then retested again? So just to confirm, nothing changed with the set up prior to the speed drop?

Thanks

pf001
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 16

Hi Michelle

Thanks for replying so quickly - I reconnected my Asus again around half an hour ago.  Whether connecting through the Asus, Sagemcom or directly in to the ONT it's been roughly the same speeds. 

I can swap back to the Sagemcom if needed. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 16

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, which router is currently connected? The Sagemcom router or the 3rd party router?

Thanks

0 Likes