cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Use a different VPN Router instead of TalkTalk Wifi Hub

Danny_Boy
First Timer
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Hi there,

Quick question to anyone in the know about these things?

Given that it seems we're unable to easily install a VPN on the TalkTalk routers that are provided with our contracts (Sagemcom, Amazon Eero etc), would it be an easier workaround to simply buy a different router that would allow installation of a VPN such as ExpressVPN or NordVPN and use this instead of a TalkTalk provided router to avoid the headache?

I've been reading about this for a while and I'm coming to the conclusion that in the long run, this may be a lot easier to do this than trying to get a TalkTalk provided router to work.

Is this something that can be easily done or is anyone already doing this?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

@mrwrighty wrote:

Curious as to why you want to put all this devices on a VPN perhaps other than to access non UK services.

I'm guessing you don't want all traffic over the VPN, but some devices such as Alex and Apple TV may not like working over a VPN unless the VPN directs you to a UK based VPN connection.

Yes, this was pretty much it...stuff like HBOMax or Max or whatever they call it these days 😊

It looks like a Smart DNS from a VPN client might actually be the easiest route for a Smart TV or Apple TV box.

0 Likes

mrwrighty
Enlightened One
Private Message
Message 2 of 8

Curious as to why you want to put all this devices on a VPN perhaps other than to access non UK services.

I'm guessing you don't want all traffic over the VPN, but some devices such as Alex and Apple TV may not like working over a VPN unless the VPN directs you to a UK based VPN connection.

There are routers that support openVPN for example and with correct VLAN and traffic management would in theory allow you to direct a smart device VLAN through the VPN gateway, not something I've done with my setup though.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 8

Obviously you can't add clients to your other devices, but your WiFi is the easiest place for an attacker to infiltrate your network.

I would say though that you would not normally be doing confidential stuff like online banking with a Sonos speaker.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 4 of 8

Yes, this seems to be my main problem too. I would like to have put my Smart TV and Apple TV 4K box behind a VPN client but it seems that these devices aren't as straighforward as say a PC, phone or tablet.

The router seemed like it was an all encompassing solution for the trickier devices that don't directly support a VPN?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Very valid points from @KeithFrench but I would very much like to learn how to add VPN client to my sonos and Alexa devices and Smart Tvs. No problems with tablets, phones and computers

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

The trouble is though, that in this scenario, your WiFi is not part of the VPN tunnel. A much more secure way is to forget the router acting as a VPN client & put VPN clients on your devices. That way the VPN tunnel includes your WiFi as well. You don't even need a replacement router to do it either.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Danny_Boy this is something I've done with both draytek and Asus products, you finish up with your entire home network behind the modem / router. I'm sorry not to be able to suggest a specific product so be very sure you check their manuals before buying. Hava look at Proton VPN as well... 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.