cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

What is VOIP availabity on Freedom Fibre / TalkTalk system ?

Buzby
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

When I signed up with TT on the FF 'rural rollout', or whatever it was called, I was told FF/TT did not provide a VOIP service that kept my number. I had lots of conversations with both FF and TT, but the answer was always 'No'.

So I got a Linksys ATA, and set up VOIP with a third party. It's expensive and not very good.

Now, from seeing posts in the forum, it looks like there is a VOIP solution from TT.

What exactly is the TT VOIP offering, and can I keep my 'landline' number ?.

My ONT is ZND-GPON-2424A1-EU from FF. This has two POTS ports, but the device is so seriously locked down by FF that I don't think they can be used.

The router is a SAGEMCOM FAST 5364, i.e. the TT WiFi Hub. This is going to be replaced by TT shortly, as it's playing up. I expect the replacement to be another 5364.

The ATA is a Linksys PAP2T, and this works fine.

Cheers,

Buzby

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

bigkenny
Enlightened One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 9

I’ve got to be honest that’s something that I did not know. I too thought a data only service you could still use/have a VoIP service but no copper phone line as well.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

No problem, I'm sorry that it's not something that we can offer you.

Chris

Buzby
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 9

I can get umpteen 3rd-party VOIP providers to sell me a service that runs over my TT broadband, but you are saying TT can't provide that service themselves. Very strange !.

I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and phone TT ( using my non-TT VOIP ) and ask them what options they can offer.

Cheers,

Buzby

Message 4 of 9

In this context 'data only' means that there is no digital voice service. I'm sorry but what you are asking for isn't something that we can provide, we provision the service either as data only or data with VoIP, VoIP isn't something that we can add afterwards.

Chris

0 Likes

Buzby
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

Hi Chris,

I know it's a 'data only plan', but I thought that 'data only' meant there was no option to keep the physical analogue line.

VOIP is data. It just needs credentials typed into the ATA and away it goes. It doesn't matter who is providing the underlying data service, it's just bytes to them. The credentials tell the VOIP provider ( BT, TT, Sipgate, etc. ) who to charge.

Can TT not provide me some credentials, I type them into my ATA, and TT then charge me £5 a month for the VOIP service ?

That's what I'm doing now, but not with TT providing the credentials.

Cheers,

Buzby

Buzby
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 9

That seems a bit harsh, having to cancel, re-order, and lose service for days.

When I changed VOIP providers before, all I did was type the credentials into the ATA and set up a new direct debit. Transfering the number took a few days, but I did not lose any service during this time.

I've listed what my current system is, surely that's enough for someone to tell me what options TT can provide ?

Cheers,

Buzby

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi Buzby,

I am sorry but Freedom Fibre is data only I'm afraid.

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

The possibilities vary depending on the infrastructure company, and also would need to be ordered AT THE TIME of the order.

If it wasn't available then, it wasn't possible. 

What matters is whether it is NOW, but it usually means having to cease the service for a few days and set up all over again, @Buzby.

You need to just check again be phoning/Chat.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes