cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

eero 6 setup without smartphone

Kendo72
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

Some time ago I was sent an eero 6 router for my full fibre broadband connection.
Up till now I had not used it as I do not have access to a smartphone to use for the setup procedure.
(OK I am a bit of a dinosaur (72) but I pay Talk Talk for a landline as well as broadband so why should I need to pay for a smartphone just to set up my home broadband?)
I recently read on the internet that it is possible to carry out the setup without a smartphone by plugging the eero 6 into a port on the back of my existing Hub 2 router, downloading the app onto my Android tablet to do the setup and, once the setup procedure is complete, unplugging the Hub 2 from the modem box on the wall, power cycling the modem and then plugging the eero 6 directly into the modem box.

This I did and the app recognised an eero 6 was connected and while it was connected to the Hub2 the app on my tablet showed its setup location in the hallway, and I entered my wifi password and it seemed to me to be working as there was a constant white light on the eero 6 which supposedly indicates connection to the internet.
When I disconnect the Hub2 and plug the eero 6 directly into the modem the white light flashes for a while then goes red. The wi-fi settings page on my tablet and Windows computer both show "connected and secured" to my home network but no internet connection.
The eero 6 appears to be working as if I switch it off at the power socket my network name disappears from the settings pages but powered on with the red light showing my network name appears and is connected.

Why can I not connect to the internet when the eero 6 appears to be broadcasting a signal with my network name, which my two devices are picking up, and all four green lights are showing on the modem box on the wall?
I am at the moment back on the Hub2.
Any assistance would be gratefully received.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Kendo72
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

Thanks Michelle. I shall think about it in view of DKGray's comment, though all my devices are within about 5 metres of the router so I doubt there would a problem. I presume the eero 6 is supposed to be faster than the Hub2 or you wouldn't have sent it unsolicited and charged me £9.95 delivery.  Would you?  It certainly takes up less room on the hall table.  I shall post again when I have decided.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've checked and the eero won't connect as we would need to make a profile change. We can do this here but you'd be without connection for up to 1 hour while the profile change is completed. If you'd like us to change the profile so you can use the eero then please let us know.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

DKGray
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

You may already have the best solution! In my experience the Hub 2 gives a much stronger wi-fi signal than a single Eero.

(If you live in a very small dwelling with paper thin walls and doors, the Eero may well work for you but I am returning mine after struggling with poor wi-fi performance since my full fibre upgrade.)

0 Likes

Kendo72
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

Profile updated. I only have one phone number. Installation was by City Fibre.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Morning,

Was your FTTP connection set up by Openreach or CityFibre please?

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number or Account number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes