cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

how to connect full fibre to a dsl openreach modem

killerme
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

I have full fibre which comes from the wall as an rj45 cable.  I have an asus rx router so I want to put an openreach modem in between.  Unfortunately the modem only has an rj11 port as dsl.  How can I get round this? (I'm sure I solved this problem before when I tested it some months ago but no idea how I did it.)

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Morning,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

killerme
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9

great Michelle. once I knew that I didn't need a modem I could transfer everything fine. all is working well now. I moved to an asus rx ax58U which gave me full cover across the house and an option to mesh further extension into the garden. cheers

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Good morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

Have a look at this:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-Full-Fibre-is-installed/ta-p/2555166 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

killerme
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 9

wow amazing. thanks ever so much Keith. really appreciated. I've been trying to figure this out for hours

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 9

If you have full fibre it is different. It terminates in an ONT and a router (TalkTalk router or 3rd party) connects from its Ethernet WAN port to the Ethernet port on the ONT. That is it, no modem at all.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

killerme
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

appreciated - but then I would have no modem?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

They are totally incompatible. You should connect the fibre from the ONT to an Ethernet WAN port on your Asus if it has one.

Keith

0 Likes