cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

upgrading cabling from CAT5 to CAT6

Mannie3
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

Hi,  going from Fibre65 to Fibre150 today.

@KeithFrench 

Do I need to upgrade all my ethernet cables to CAT6 (from CAT5), to NOT get any speed bottlenecks ?

I never realised until 10mins ago that the cables 'might' need upgrade for speed and shielding benefits.

From Data socket in wall to Eero6

From Erro6 to desktop PC

From Erro6 to Power-Line adaptor

From Digital VOIP to Eero6.

THANKS M

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 4

Yes it is just a single Ethernet from the ONT to your router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 4

Hi

I only have one Eero6 and one Wifi Hub (Sagemcom Fast 5364) !!

Is the fibre socket in the wall just a single ethernet,  not a pair ?

So I will not be able to plug the Digital VOIP and desktop PC at the same time?

BUT if I successfully link Eero6 to Wifi HUB, I am hoping to continue to connect desktop PC to the old WiFi HUB and also the Powerline adaptor (via Yellow ethernet sockets).

The cables that are labelled say only CAT5, not CAT5e. Not sure how to work out if cat5 or 5e without any labelling?

So probably worth updating to CAT6 then?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Hi @Mannie3 

As to whether you need to upgrade them, is down to the speed & distance of the device to the Eero. I use a Cat6 between my ONT & router's WAN port (Hub2). I hope that you have two Eeros (I can't remember from your other thread), otherwise you'll run out of Ethernet ports!

If the desktop PC has a 1Gbps or faster interface then possibly use a Cat6, the powerline & Grandstream, it would all depend on what speeds they (and the Eero for that matter) support. You may well get away with Cat5e for them.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?