cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Inconsistent download speeds on all apps. Low speeds. Cables upgraded due to same issue previously.

TactiCol
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 5

I transferred over to talktalk  Fibre to the premises 900 package (or whatever it's called) over a year ago and I have had consistent problems with download speeds. There are huge fluctuations when downloading larger files and I never get the service I am paying for.

I've kept a record over time of speed tests which confirm this. I've replaced all ethernet cables 3 times now so I am certain it's not on my side anymore. Currently using the best ethernet cables I can find yet the issue persists. Some days it can be fine but most days it is not.

I'm really beginning to regret switching and can't wait for the contract to end so I can go back to BT where none of these problems were present despite having the same configuration (minus the EEROs). I appreciate talktalk is cheaper but if it equates to inconsistency in service provision then, I'd sooner spend more.

I've carried out line tests previously where they have come back as a fault and other times where they come back as no fault. The service is just too inconsistent. I don't understand why it would be this way as the speed with fibre to the premises should see no degradation of download speed given that it's light as opposed to copper. Upload speed is rarely affected.

I have the CSV file exported from speedtest if any support staff would like to see the results over the year.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi TactiCol,

Can I just confirm, how many eeros do you have please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 5

Hi @TactiCol 

I cannot comment on the Eero, you get either that one or the Hub 2. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith.

Thanks for your response.

There is some speed degradation on wireless (0.5m from motherboard wifi to primary EERO) but, it's not as severe. Somewhere around the 150-200 Mbps in terms of drop. The ethernet is much worse when it drops. It can drop from 947 to 150 Mbps on speed testing (various server locations just in case). The fluctuations on larger downloads can be absolutely horrific dropping down to 700 kb/s before shooting back up and it does this throughout the download, greatly increasing download times. It's not the servers that I am downloading from either as they have been tested with business line and are working optimally.

Usually EERO reports that the incoming speed is as it should be (most of the time). Personally, I don't think the EERO's play nice at all with ethernet unless it's just my particular unit. I've changed cables 3 times but upon testing each cable (I have ethernet cable testing gear) they are all fine. I'm currently using Cat 8, 1M 40 Gbps 2000Mhz cables. After a couple of EERO reboots, it will play nicely again for a while then after a couple of days, it's back to massively reduced speeds. I know for certain it's not the cables in this case as they have all been tested.

I would prefer a proper router with more advanced features that connects to the wall with the EERO's sitting behind that serving up the home wifi. I could then connect my rig directly to the router and bypass the EERO's altogether. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

You shouldn't have to suffer these problems. If you go into the Eero app when you have the issues, what are the speeds shown there (not speed tests)? Does this only affect Ethernet devices or wireless ones as well?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes