cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Care of elderly relatives impacted by very loud buzz on landline

Shandy
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 2

Sorry to say, THE BUZZ IS BACK (the one I reported in May 2024, that was subsequently fixed).

Symptoms (last 1-2 weeks) are the same as before:

When my land line is open for a call, as soon as any sound is made by either party to the call a loud buzz is heard in the earpiece/speaker. When neither party makes a sound, the buzz is cut off, but I think that’s due to a noise gate that’s always in play (perhaps a crude device to make a noisy line sound "better" when either caller falls silent).

I'm not suggesting the buzz is caused by the gate, but the opening and closing of the gate makes the rise and fall of the buzz more difficult to deal with, as it "surges" into the audio stream along with whatever sound the caller is intentionally making.

The noise makes conversation with my elderly relatives especially difficult, and as a joint carer I need to speak with them often.

Previously, a similar noise problem was linked to a "battery fault on the line" and quickly remedied… I think by OpenReach, but obviously I’m not empowered to invoke that action.

I’d be grateful if the issue could be fixed.

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 2

Have you tried a different phone? Or made sure that your current one is isolated from any other nearby electrical devices? Subject to that, this has been flagged to the support team and you should get a response from them tomorrow. 

0 Likes