cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Incoming call LED dimly flickers

Crackle170224
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

I am using a new BT Big Button 200 phone fitted with new batteries. Occasionally the incoming call LED dimly flickers but the phone does not ring. The last call received was four days ago when I used 1471 today.

The phone was bought to eliminate the chance that the previous one was causing the continuous crackling noise on the landline.

Openreach will soon be returning to investigate the continuous crackling noise on the landline. Although the previous Openreach engineer could hear the continuous crackling noise the cause was not identified.

This suggests to me that the origin of the continuous crackling noise on the landline is in the exchange or it is being acquired inside the Openreach cabinets or at the top of the nearby telegraph pole.

Which of the tests conducted by Openreach from my home would identify this fault?

Which of the tests conducted by Openreach from the exchange would identify this fault?

In each case, is this test routinely conducted by Openreach when investigating a continuous crackling noise on a landline?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

@Crackle170224 

When I posted I didn't realise you had started multiple threads. Please stick to the one which Chris asked and where he has responded, I am locking this one now. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Thank you for your reply.

Openreach engineers have carried out all of the tests they do when in the home of a TalkTalk customer. I do not know if that is a subset of the ones they can do. Perhaps other CPs pay for more tests to be done?

It has included connecting an Openreach engineer's handset to the test socket of the Openreach Master Socket 5C. The engineer could hear the continuous crackling noise. I have connected my new phone to the test socket, while the electricity to my home is switched off and I can hear the continuous crackling noise.

As the new phone I am using draws power from the landline [it is not connected to the mains] and I have removed the back up batteries from the phone, the dimly  flickering incoming call LED light must be indicating a flow of current despite the handset being correctly placed on the phone.

What could cause this flow of current under these conditions?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi Crackle,

I've replied on your other thread. Could you please just stick to the one thread to avoid confusion

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the added information. The support team here should pick this up tomorrow. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

I repeatedly report the landline having a continuous crackling noise coming from the test socket using multiple phones while the electricity to the house is switched off.

Qube GB reports continuous crackling noise on the landline and repeated failure of a test. The equipment is set up correctly.

TalkTalk repeatedly reports the line as clear.

Openreach report the line as OK in December 2023 and February 2024.

If this is a matter of semantics I think Openreach and TalkTalk should be honest with me rather than ganging up on the person paying the bill and experiencing the continuous crackling noise on the landline.

CLEAR LINE       is not the same as       LINE OKAY       which is not the same as       CONTINUOUS CRACKLING NOISE ON THE LINE.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Thank you for your response.

Yes, the continuous crackling noise on the landline was heard by the Openreach engineer using their handset connected to the test socket. I bought a new phone early this year when the crackling became worse and worse to avoid the £75 charge TalkTalk impose if the fault is equipment in the home. It occurs even when I have switched off the electricity to the house.

What tests should an Openreach engineer conduct while in the home when investigating a continuous crackle on a landline?

What tests should an Openreach engineer conduct while out of the home whe ninvestigating a continuous crackle on a landline?

On Thursday 1 February 2024 a call was particularly troubled by crackling, it grew and grew until there was a loud snap and terminated. When the caller rang me again their voice was distorting/echoing, they sounded like a dalek. REIN repetitive electrical Impulse Noise has been mentioned in the past. Does this sound like REIN? How would an Openreach engineer test for REIN when investigating a continuous crackling noise on a landline?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

I don't know what tests the previous Openreach engineer conducted, but did these include connecting a handset directly at the test socket in your home? 

0 Likes