cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

EchoLife DG8041W Home Gateway LED no longer visible

cranhpc1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

Hello, I have had one of the above since January 2022  and it has been pretty much bomb-proof together with delivering a measured throughput with Ookla,  of 74/16 Mbps. F/w version is unchanged at 1.05t. WAN stats invariably show zero error packets. The router is still delivering it's expected performance though, since the change described has happened.

Recently, as some other members reported, though I can't locate their posts, the single steady white status LED is no longer visible, though sometimes it flickers briefly. Occasionally, in darkness, it reappears very dimly but soon disappears again.

If the router is rebooted, the LED  goes through the normal colour change sequence at the usual brightness, but after the final white LED appears,  it soon goes off again.

The router is set as per the default to have the LED on all the time.

I have backed up up the XML config file, done a factory reset, then restored the config but to no avail, the LED is still not visible most of the time.

OK its seems like a minor irritation, but given that its the only visual indication of router health, I do check it when I walk past the router.

In addition: I have had a few but not many, events of the router resetting itself owing to a kernel panic: e.g.

[Error][Alarm-Log] AlarmID:104001,AlarmLevel:Error,Device reset. Cause: System reset due to kernel panic, Terminal:OTHER

Its also the case that I don't know if this is the precursor of issues developing with this hitherto very good router.  I take it that there are no firmware updates which address this issue, otherwise you would have already pushed them out by now?

As a former supercomputer system manager, I much prefer devices with lots of status lights, but my wife does not, and thinks that the TalkTalk router is both stylish & unobtrusive...

Any suggestions please?

Les

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi Les

You can hardly tell anything has been changed 🙂

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

OK Feel free to share my idea with whoever has need of it: This is what it looks like , very discreet on the router. Les

Router with sunglassesRouter with sunglasses

Message 3 of 17

Hi Les

I still think your idea is clever 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Thanks for your kind words!

Some routers, notably the BT and Plusnet ones have light controls such that you can reduce the brightness, whereas the TT ones only allow off or on by a schedule

Regards

Les

Message 5 of 17

Hi Les

Wow I am impressed 🙂  My husband would never even think to do something like that 🙂

I don't really want to share the below now because your idea was so good

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Wi-Fi-Hub-light-too-bright/ta-p/2460164

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Its very simple Debbie - I have lots of old 35mm black and white negatives from when I was keen on photography. I found one that was almost black and used a hole punch to cut out a disc of film. A little dab of PVA glue and the router now has tiny sunglasses! The LED is now about the same brightness as the outgoing Huawei one.

Job done, marriage saved...

I'll pick up the survey from your PM later on today

Regards

Les

Message 7 of 17

Hi Les

I'm glad to hear that the router has arrived. Thanks for letting us know 🙂

"The immediate complaint from my wife was that the white LED status light was far too bright! I have fixed that with an ingenious solution which I might patent!"

I'm intrigued 🙂

I have also sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Dear Debbie

Apologies for not getting back to you promptly. Yes I have received the router but only because my wife was quick off the mark and ran after the Yodel driver who had dumped a parcel for a completely different address and was about to go off, with our router, and presumably drop that on an unsuspecting recipient somewhere else!

She  persuaded him to ferret around in his van and eventually he produced the router. I don't know where they get their drivers from ...

The router was no problem to set up and delivers same VDSL throughput as the Huawei one though the WIFI is probably better at coverage.

The immediate complaint from my wife was that the white LED status light was far too bright! I have fixed that with an ingenious solution which I might patent!

Many thanks for your help, old router is ready for return today.

With regards

Les

Message 9 of 17
0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi Les

No problem 🙂

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Thanks Debbie, as always, for very prompt response. I look forward to receiving Sagemcom router in next few days.

Regards

Les

Message 12 of 17

Hi Les

Thanks for your reply 🙂

The router is on its way and a returns bag for your current one.

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

cranhpc1
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 17

Thanks, I've replied to Debbie that I would prefer  a new router as it will solve all the issues.

Regards

Les

Message 14 of 17

Good Morning Debbie, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes please,  replacing the router would sound like a good precautionary step. I expect that the Huawei one will need to be returned for which I have the original packaging.

I look forward to that.

Regards

Les

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

Hi cranhpc1

Apologies for this.

I can update the router firmware for the issue with error messages in the router logs or I can send you a replacement router (Sagemcom hub) which looks exactly the same as your current router but it's a sagemcom hub.

Thanks

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

My solid white light disappeared over a year ago and the router is still working perfectly well.

As with you, the start/reboot sequence is normal and the indicator is set to on.

0 Likes