Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Faults on Landline

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 61 of 61

I've had an intermittent fault for months which I've lived with as it's so difficult to contact TalkTalk by any means these days. I haven't seen the pop-up opportunity for an online chat, which used to be permanently available, then became apparently random. Now it's just not there at all.

The original fault: for several minutes - sometimes as many as 10 - after finishing one call on the landline, I often wouldn't get a dialling tone at all. Now, for the last week, there's an additional problem and I've set a day aside to try and get through, somehow, to TalkTalk. I've not ruled out, however, resorting to pen and paper if I can find a postal address. It seems an extraordinary situation, for a communications company!

The additional problem now is that, whether I'm receiving or making a call, even after waiting for a dialling tone, once the call has been connected, ie, once the call timer starts counting up, there's absolute silence at my end. Sometimes the person on the other end can hear me: sometimes not. Sometimes, I even get through and can receive or make calls - I'd say at the moment it's approximately 50/50 - but I'm increasingly having to rely on my cellphone and indoor repeption here's not great.

Can anyone give me ANY contact number for TalkTalk, or tell me if/how online chat is still available, even randomly?

0 Likes
60 REPLIES 60

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 21 of 61

Thanks, Debbie. You too.

Message 22 of 61

Hi Graeme

No problem. Hopefully this will sort out the intermittent phone fault.

Have a good week.

Thanks

Debbie

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 23 of 61

Marvellous! Thanks, Debbie.

Regards, Graeme.

Message 24 of 61

Hi Graeme

Lift and Shift has now been accepted by Openreach for Monday 14/02. You will experience downtime of up to 4hrs whilst Openreach complete the required work.

I will check in with you on Tuesday morning.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 25 of 61

Hi Graeme

Yes sorry, I was just going to reply and let you know once I had arranged the Lift and Shift.

I've submitted the request for the Lift and Shift, I'm just waiting confirmation back from Openreach to say they have accepted the order.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 26 of 61

Thanks, Debbie. I see you've already done the (re)divert. That's great!

Message 27 of 61

Hi Graeme

No problem 🙂

I will start the process for the Lift and Shift this morning and I will also sort out the temp call divert.

I'll post back as soon as this has been done.

Thanks

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 28 of 61

Oops! Silly me. Thanks, Debbie. I've added the temporary mobile number, to which I'd like the divert redirected, to my Private Notes, as per your instruction. I'll get the hang of this eventually!

Graeme G.

Message 29 of 61

Hi Graeme

Thanks for your reply.

I've edited your post to remove the mobile number. Please can you add the mobile number to the Private Notes section of your Community Profile and I will arrange for the divert to be swapped to this number.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 30 of 61

Hi, Debbie.

Thanks, as always, for keeping me posted. Monday 14th February is good for me. If everything's fixed on the day, it will be a very nice Valentine's Day present!

Could I ask you a favour, please, in the light of this further delay? When I first reported the fault, Marvin (TalkTalk) diverted my landline to my mobile number. However, that mobile isn't very good indoors at home. Would it be possible, instead, to divert my landline to a different mobile number -- with immediate effect? (Or is that something I can/should do myself?)

Regards,

Graeme G.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 61

Hi Graeme

Our Network Team have asked us to complete a lift and shift. This means your line/service will be down for 4hrs.

We also have to provide 72hrs notice to Openreach for this to be completed. Will this be ok if I request for this to be completed on Monday 14/02?

0 Likes

Message 32 of 61

Hi Graeme

I'm really sorry about this. I'm speaking to our Network Team again and I will post back as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 33 of 61

Hello, Debbie.

The (Openreach) engineer came a couple of hours ago. He didn't come inside as the equipment in my home has already been so recently tested and retested. We discussed the ongoing problem and its history at length.

He dismissed the DACS suggestion. He's not had to deal with a DACS issue for about the last 15 years and if I did have a DACS line, he said, I wouldn't be able to get broadband, let alone faster fibre.

He repeated what the previous Openreach engineer said during his visit back on Friday 28th January. Openreach don't have access to the TalkTalk line cards but are now aware of about 20 people with the same issue. All he could do, he said, was write up his notes to add to the existing reports and hope that TalkTalk engineers fix the problem.

He advised me to keep on testing the landline at regular intervals. I had a spell this morning when I thought it might be fixed but about an hour later, it was back again. That's part of the problem with an intermittent fault - you can so easily think it's fixed because that's what you want to believe!

I'm still not getting a dialling tone about 50% of the time and, when I do, I don't always get connected; so I guess I dial out successfully about 1 in 4 calls and don't know about incoming calls as they're still being diverted to my mobile.

I have had the automated text to say "an engineer has recently done some repair work but it could take a few days to adjust" and an automated email: "Our engineer has resolved the service issue". Sadly, these automated responses are no more accurate than previously. This engineer, like his predecessor, told me, categorically, he's touched nothing and fixed nothing!

Regards,

Graeme.

0 Likes

Message 34 of 61
0 Likes

Message 35 of 61

Hi Graeme

No problem 🙂  I will also check the engineers notes too once the engineer has attended.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 36 of 61

Thanks, Debbie.

Message 37 of 61

Hi Graeme

Apologies for the confusion.

I've now changed the appointment to 07/02 AM (8am - 1pm)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 38 of 61

Sorry, Debbie. My wording may have been ambiguous. I meant that the ONLY appointments I've got in the foreseeable future are both already on Friday morning 17th February. Any time OTHER than that should be fine.

Graeme.

0 Likes

Message 39 of 61

Hi Graeme

Thanks for your reply.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 17/02 AM (8am - 1pm)

I've also added to the engineers notes about the DACS detected on the line and that this is a repeat fault.

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

graemeglen1
Team Player
Message 40 of 61

Hi, Debbie.

I've no appointments now till Thursday 17th February. I have a slight preference for AM but can accommodate either.

Thanks,

Graeme.

0 Likes