cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

No Dial Tone - Can't Dial Out - Can't Receive Calls (AGAIN)

qswi014
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 26

No Dial Tone - Can't Dial Out - Can't Receive Calls (AGAIN)

At around 18:00 on 08 March 2024 I had no dial tone on my landline yet again.
Auto Test reported as REP-14078856

I am still on an exchange line and have FTTC broadband same line BB is still working.
I have two cable connected phones; one dumb line powered, plus a Siemens DL500A DECT base station both show the same results if used with the other disconnected wherever plugged in.

On Hook my exchange line pair is at a normal 49 volts.
Off hook No Dial tone as I said, just low hiss from line. (Off hook Line at normal 7 volts).
Dialing produces no response.
After 6 minutes off hook I get off hook tone, hang up and can repeat so line to exchange is there.
Calling my landline number from mobile gives:
This person is currently unavailable please try later or send a text.

Oddly this condition has also disrupted the most of the TT broadband tests, but at least I don’t see anyone else’s data on this occasion.

I did use the South Africa Chat on Friday 18:30 to report the issue but as usual their script ignores what I had already checked above and ends up with we will send a chargeable engineer to check your home wiring.
Having already confirmed this as pointless I declined and they closed the chat as they do.

So rather that wasting weeks on the phone to SA this time I am back here with the UK community.

Hopefully on this occasion it will not take four weeks to resolve this time as it did in October 2023 when Talktalk provisioning took my exchange line number and moved it to another customers Talktalk Digital Voice port.
On that occasion they did restore my dial tone after 3 weeks by initializing my exchange card but number retrieval took rather longer.

Regards
Chris

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Hi Chris

I'm glad to hear that James has been in contact. He has also sent me a message to let me know that he is investigating and he will keep you updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 26

Debbie,

TT SMC James H called me at 10:46 today.

Summary was the fix he tried will not stick.

My copper line number has been provisioned off copper very likely due to the FF order somebody illegally decided I was going to have without my knowledge or consent . He sees the provisioning unwanted commands.

James has requested provisioning to unwind their second 'mistake' in six months.

My question to TT management is, this a vendetta, group policy,  or simple incompetence. ?

Next call to me from James is Thursday 16-18:00 by which time provisioning should have restored routing of my copper number to exchange line (again).

Regards

Chris Qswi014

0 Likes

Message 3 of 26

Hi Chris

Apologies, I will contact James now to let him know.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

Debbie,

Forget my last message saying my line was fixed, it was only temporary !

Exchange line is down again same symptoms.

James H at Salford SMC called me to say it was fixed and gave me 0345 172 0088 to call hime back if I needed.

Of course that is useless as goes to South Africa who know nothing about this !

And they just dropped my call after two contacts.

Please help me get a message back to James at SMC.

Thanks

Chris Qswi014

0 Likes

Message 5 of 26

Debbie,

I just had a call from James at Salford SMC .

The call came in on my copper land line number which was a nice surprise. It is now live again.

He described the issue as database discrepancy between two servers.

I read that as my number was not allocated to my exchange line, rather like provisioning I did while in mobile networks.

No physical issue like I said.

One remaining concern is how TT raised and pursued a FF order that I had no knowledge of.

I will open a ticket with the CEO office for that.

I do not miss emails I support email services and have had no other contacts from TT Sales.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Chris Qswi014

0 Likes

Message 6 of 26

Hi Chris

It's a UK based faults escalation team.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 26

Debbie,

Will this be UK or SA ?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

Hi Chris

I've escalated this over to the team to investigate and they will make contact with you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 26

Debbie,

Please do, If a SA staff member can called Nas can initialize my exchange line restore dial tone it would point right back at provisioning again.

Chris TT may have a contact there.

Regards

Chris qswi014

0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

Hi Chris

I can escalate this to our Faults Team and ask for one of my colleagues to investigate and contact you to discuss further, would you like me to arrange this?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 26

Debbie,

I would take what you have heard with a pinch of salt.

Has anyone actually asked provisioning as the did this by mistake in October with no pending order at all !

Your operations staff really make your jobs a lot harder, I know how it can be as it was my job also.

Regards

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Hi Chris

The order was placed but it had not completed and was not due to complete until April. We have asked our order management team if this would affect the landline fault and they have advised no.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 26

Michelle,

Sorry been out for a while, but this let me process what's been going on.

I now very sure this is caused by provisioning for the following reasons.

Over the weekend the TT home online broadband test suite was unable to show any data for my devices speed etc.

Today they all  look normal, but because my number is no longer in transit.

I think my number was taken Friday and now is assigned to your VOIP service on my non Existent FF service.

Last time provisioning took my number it was obvious as another customer  answered it !

This time its on a service assigned to me but inaccessible hence the  always unavailable message.

That all makes sense now I know TT had instigated a FF transfer I didn't agree too and was not aware of.

Its a real shambles as last time.

Did you ask  provisioning what my number is associated with ?

Chris TT dealt with them last time.

Regards

Chris qswi014

0 Likes

Message 14 of 26

Hi again,

Thanks for confirming. As all testing has been completed at the test socket then we'll need to book an engineer visit to the property. Could you provide a few days availability please AM (8-1) and PM (1-6) and we'll book the next available visit for you. Could you also confirm that you accept possible time related charged if the engineer is unable to find a fault or locates the fault on your equipment.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 15 of 26

Michelle,

1) I have confirmed to Debbie I have NOT requested or even seen any FF offers from TT and I reject any such offers or orders I have not sanctioned.

2) I did detailed checks (see my first post re TT Chat on Friday ) on my exchange line including two phones I have no faults in home.

These all suggest my exchange line port is disabled/faulty.

I did see similar symptoms last year and Nas from the SA  reenabled Dial tone then with a line reset.

I agree that this time my number appears to be intact and this suggest an exchange issue this time.

If my line to exchange was an issue I would not be able to get Off Hook warning tone after 6 mins inactivity and I do.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 26

Hi qswi014

I understand and I have contacted the team and they have now cancelled the FF Upgrade. Did you have a chance to test the voice service at the test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 17 of 26

Debbie,

CANCEL  THE FF ORDER I DIDNT SEE !

ABSOLUTLY

Never seen any offer at all this year on email or any channel.

This is just harassment..

Will never use TT FF !

Clear ?

Thanks

Chris qswi014

0 Likes

Message 18 of 26

Hi qswi014

Apologies for the confusion, it looks to be a free upgrade, offered by TT and an email was sent to advise of this.

If you would like me to cancel this order then please let me know as soon as possible.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 26

Michelle,

Why do you think I have ordered FTTP. ?

I have NOT.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 26

Hi again,

So just to confirm, you would like the FTTP order to be cancelled and I will ask the team to do this? In regards to the voice issue, the team have checked and said it's not related to a provisioning issue so we will need to treat this like a regular fault. Can you confirm if there is no dial tone at the test socket with 2 different phones please as the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes