Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline being plugged in

CourtneyL
First Timer
Message 8 of 8

Does anyone know if you have to have your landline plugged in for your broadband to work? We don't use the landline at all and the socket is in an awkward place - ideally could do with unplugging it. 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

For me, the motivation for disconnecting the telephone is to remove the temptation to call out from it, as well as deterring people from ringing it. Our TalkTalk Fibre + Home Phone package (with no inclusive calls) beats any "no phone" fibre package from any other provider by miles (on price), otherwise we would probably not have a landline at all. 99% of our incoming landline calls are unwanted and we can use mobiles for making calls. However, I do appreciate that having a backup emergency landline phone is wise.

So, disconnecting the phone is very tempting, but there's always that nagging doubt that some forgotten contact somewhere will be ringing it and not realise it's gone.

Anyway, this has prompted me to review our TalkTalk phone settings and probably at least remove the voicemail.

Thanks both.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Or make sure your contacts are aware not to call a landline number.  I don't use the home phone and have all my contacts aware they can only reach my mobile.  For all other services, Doctors etc, I always only give out my Mobile number 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

It won't go through to Voicemail unless you have that set up - no point if you haven't got a landline phone plugged in to pick up messages. It won't go to engaged, as the phone isn't engaged. Nor is it "out of service".

You could set up Call Divert, but you have to pay for that (£3.00 per month). That would send calls through to a mobile, @LittleReggie1, in case you are worried about missing something important. 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-Call-Divert/ta-p/2205322

Might be simpler just to plug in a phone....!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Rather than start a new topic, which seems a bit pointless...

If you unplug your telephone, are people that ring your landline number aware of this, or at their end does it just ring and then go to voicemail?

If that's the case, is there any way of forcing an out of service or engaged tone?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hi

No need to keep a landline phone plugged in, but always a good Idea to keep hold of a landline phone, mainly to test the line if there is a fault, but also to call emergency services if your mobile has no signal or charge in an emergency of course.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8
Oh great! That's coming out then. Thank you!
0 Likes

demonzen2001
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 8
No you don't need a phone plugged in. I haven't had one plugged in for years and it's so peaceful lol