cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Reporting a friends phone fault

Mogwar
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

How can I report a fault on another telephone?

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

I find these technical things get increasingly daunting, @Mogwar 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 22

Thank you.  These things are so simple - when you know how - and when you can get to the device itself! 

As I was telling Debbie, my friend lives some miles away, with no other means of communication.  The divert has been removed overnight and I have now been able to talk to my friend; her phone is now working [making and receiving calls]; so all is well.

Yesterday, we celebrated the 80th Anniversary of D-Day; at the same time, I was celebrating 71 yearssince I signed on in the R.N.

As you get older, these technical things get more difficult.

Again, thank you and all is well.

Message 3 of 22

Hi Mogwar

Apologies for this.

The divert can sometimes be removed automatically when a fault is resolved but sometimes you have to dial #21# from the line to remove the divert yourself.

If you do experience any further issues with this line then please let us know here and we can take a look.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

All is well.  Been a harrowing time, my friend lives some miles away, and has no mobile, no computer.

When I reported the fault, I was told the divert would 'automatically' be removed, upon correcting the network fault.

However, I have now called, [instead of having to visit], and received a call, so things have settled back to normal.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

Hi Mogwar

Sorry for the delay.

Is everything working ok?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

@Mogwar, the numbers will need to be dialled on the phone from your friend's house where the fault occurred (so not on your mobile).

To switch off "divert all calls" dial #21#

1000002003.jpg

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Alas the BOT was on and it was pathetic.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I can't understand the link you gave me.

I will try logging in again in the morning and see if I can talk to a person.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 22

If the fault has been resolved, it may be that calls are still set to Call Divert, @Mogwar.

There's still time to contact Chat live before it goes into bot mode only at 9pm if you are unsure. 

Details of how Call Divert can be switched off as well as on are here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-Call-Divert/ta-p/2205322

Message 9 of 22

Outgoing calls have been restored - incoming calls still end up on my mobile.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi Mogwar,

Thanks for that. Could I just ask, do you know if your friend has any sort of medical device or care alarm that relies on a working landline?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Thanks.  

That means that staff will be checking the correct line....!

From the landline number, they identify the account and the account holder. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

This is all so complicated for someone in their late 80's!  But yes, I have managed to find these Private Notes, and added my friends number!

Message 13 of 22

Did you put your friend's phone number in Private Notes as I originally suggested, @Mogwar?

That's at the END  of the Personal Information area. SAVE CHANGES. 

This will help staff check for the latest updates, even if it's a wider fault.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 22

That is MY landline number.  I'm told that my friend's landline is included in a network 'problem', calls have been diverted to my cell phone.

Returning from Hinchley Wood, I met up with another friend who is also without telephone communications, and I've suggested to her that she may well be part of the same fault - well - not part of - but included!

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hi Mogwar,

Could I just ask, is the landline telephone number in your community profile yours or your friends?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

Used my cell, contacted the impersonal voice  on the 0345 number and found there IS a network fault, calls have been diverted to my cell until the fault is fixed.  That's the best I can do to help  a friend!

Thanks for being there,

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

Hi Mogwar,

How are you getting on?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 22

Thanks for that comprehensive round up.  I will attend in the morning, and see what I can manage.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Whether seeking support via the forum or Chat, or phoning 03451 720088, there's definitely a need to follow up pretty promptly during the day.

Ideally your friend should be present at the time to pass any necessary ID checks etc, @Mogwar.

Sometimes the phone needs to be plugged in directly at the test socket to help diagnose the issue and eliminate the possibility of a wiring fault in the house.

They should also check that the fault is still there using an alternative phone handset, so worth taking one with you to try that.

Staff will do these checks before sending out an engineer.

Helpful if you can also describe the nature of the fault.

Is it a noisy line but otherwise works?

Is it totally dead, no calls working in or out?

0 Likes

Mogwar
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 22

Thank you for your response: unfortunately my friend does not have an internet facility.  Perhaps I shall have to drive over in the morning with a Laptop and do it that way.

0 Likes