Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TEST MY 93 YEAR OLD UNCLES TELEPHONE LINE

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 36 of 36

I need someone to test my 93 year old Uncles telephone line A.S.A.P.

I've added his phone number to my profile under the section:

"custom.profile.alternative_number"

He tried calling me tonight and all I heard was silence. I phone him it says he's on the phone.

Something similar has happened before when he changed to fibre broadband and some individual put he wrong wire in the wrong place at the junction box outside.

Service centre is useless for this sort of thing and your call centre is closed.

To be clear DO NOT test the line ending 20.  Test the line with number ending 87

I do not live nearby and I don't like things like this any help as soon as possible would be appreciated.o

Thank you

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

Message 1 of 36

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. We will check back in on Friday to see if the fault has been resolved.

Thanks

0 Likes

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 36

@chris no apologies necessary. It's just when I reported his line being down months ago on the day his fibre65 service

started, I didn't have to do anything regarding passwords and I was able to get an engineer out very quickly and he fixed

the problem in the box in the street. That was after one phone call to the call centre.

I expected the same to happen as when I reported his new broadband/phone package not working on connection day.  All I was expecting to do was pick up the phone, or post a message to say my uncles phone line is dead, and pass it over. I

didn't expect 21 days of this. He's perfectly capable to talk about this and answer all questions.

So I've just finished a call to the call centre with them calling his mobile phone and me being told they have the account

holder on another line so I can hang up. That's what I was expecting all along when calling the call centre.

A few minutes later my uncle phones me telling me someone from talktalk called him (as was expected) and they got cut off!

Take 2. Second call to call centre with again someone calling my uncles mobile. This time no cut offs and an engineer is booked for Thursday morning.

IT IS AN ABSOLUTE SCANDAL HOW LONG HAS THIS TAKEN TO GET AN ENGINEER OUT.

AND TO REITERATE ALL I EXPECTED WAS TO CALL TALKTALK OR POST HERE "I AM REPORTING A FAULT" AND SOMEONE WOULD CALL MY UNCLE'S MOBILE TO ARRANGE AN ENGINEER OR GET MORE INFO.

I DID NOT EXPECT 21 DAYS OF BACK AND FORTH!

Message 3 of 36

Hi daavv,

We can book an engineer it's just that we ask for the password on the account to verify that you are authorised by your uncle to deal with this on his behalf. I can arrange for a member of our network team to contact your uncle to confirm some details and book an engineer if required. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and the best time to call him. I'm really sorry for any inconvenience, I'm not trying to be obstructive.

Chris

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 36

Well it came back working again on all the previous times once rain had stopped only to go faulty again on each occasion there was heavy rain, so nothing to write home about with it now working again for who knows how long after fault number 4.

And since ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been done, apart from the amount of time I have spent on this ongoing problem, I would be surprised if it does not become faulty again very soon as it has done over the past 20 or so days.

This is a complete joke an engineer should have been sent round in the first instance. This problem is incredibly similar to when his switch from VASTLY OVERPRICED 8Mb to CHEAPER fibre happened. Day of switch, nothing worked and the engineer who came round found wires not in the correct place in the box outside in the street.

Intermittent problems are usually very difficult to find ON A CIRCUIT BOARD WHEN YOUR TRYING TO FIND WHAT COMPONENT.

On a phone line when it appears water is an issue, it should be pretty straightforward by signs of corrosion or water in the cable.

And as mentioned before, I've told my uncle not to fill in the intrusive form requesting private details about him because of the "priority repair" service for the elderly.

No way would I let him fill in his doctors details and medical conditions for a telecommunications company!! Thats just a fraction more than, how someone's mobility, sight or hearing issues is.

The way this is progressing is a complete joke. Of course how could I forget someone who is 93 has an infinite amount of time left don't they.

Message 5 of 36

Hi daavv

Glad to hear it's working again. Could I just ask does the problem seem to occur every time it rains?

Chris

0 Likes

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 36

And I just telephoned my uncle to fill him in about whats being going on (nothing at all!) and his phone and broadband (as of Saturday) is now working. No doubt the water from the rain that seems to be the cause has dried up and the 5th time everything will go down won't be far away until the next time it rains probably.

So this is day 20 (and counting..) of this intermittent fault.

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 36

Same message as I just posted in private.

This is NOT my account it is my Uncle's.

I don't live at his house,

I live a good 50 miles round trip away. He can be reached on his mobile number that ends in 87 that I have temporarily added to my account.

I thought there was going to be some link to arrange an engineer?

I don't see why I have to set up some secure verification and setup some password. He can answer the usual questions such as last four digits of the direct debit bank account, etc.

I cannot believe how much hassle this is with talktalk to get a now 4 times fault rectified on a phone line of someone who is 93 and has a small emergency alarm connected to their phone line, which, would not work if this intermittent and now long ongoing fault still occurs.

This is the same nonsense as to when I (because I am an idiot) helped him upgrade his broadband to fibre 65 a few months ago. He was on 8Mb non fibre broadband so I switched him to fibre 65 and his monthly bill was much cheaper (No way talktalk would offer to contact him and suggest the cheaper much better option). And on the connection day, guess what, his phone line went down because someone put a wire in the wrong place and it was an engineer who fixed it out in the control box in the street.

One things for sure, I'm glad I'm not in my 90's to be treated the exact same as a 20 year old talktalk customer.

Message 8 of 36

Hi daavv,

I've sent you a PM to confirm some details so that we can book the engineer for your Uncle

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 36

This is the fourth fault since October 27th, each time my uncle has plugged a cord phone directly into the master socket and the line has been dead.

Yes an engineer is needed to look into this.

I want to know what the engineer finds out.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 36

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test now which has detected a loop fault which can sometimes be caused by internal wiring or equipment connected to the line. If testing has been completed to rule this out we can arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this?

Thanks

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 36

This morning my uncle's telephone and broadband are not working because it's raining where he is. If I call his number ending in 87 as shown in my profile it tells me he is on the phone constantly.

Can someone do a line test please?

This needs fixed.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 36

Hi daavv

Thanks for your reply.

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know and we will arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 36

Hi Karl, thanks for the message and to Gliwmaeden2.

I spoke to my uncle and he thinks there is no point to get an engineer out just now as do I. We both think this intermittent fault is due to heavy rain because it seems once the rain has stopped after a time period it starts to work again once dry.

Hopefully it won't,but if it happens again I'll post on here to request an engineer visit.

Message 14 of 36

Hi

As Gliwmaeden2 advises, we do ask that individuals let us know what their personal requirements are, whether it be mobility, sight or hearing issues etc, so we are fully aware and can relay this to any engineer that is sent.

With regards to the actual fault itself, weather related issues can be tricky to pin down as often tests will pass and show no fault when the weather is fine.

I can arrange an engineer to visit and take a look at the problem. Is there someone always at the property if an engineer calls.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 15 of 36

@daavv, do you want this escalated for staff to respond to when they are back on Monday?

Talktalk probably needs to check that people who subscribe as needing priority fault repairs are genuinely vulnerable. 

If  Talktalk did this automatically by age, they would be accused of ageism. 

They can't go down that road. So, unfortunately, it does require individuals to clarify their specific situation. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 16 of 36

And now his phone line is working again after me by chance calling his landline!

So zero has been done, nobody has done anything and it'll probably go down again next time it rains!

Again a total joke!

0 Likes

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 17 of 36

And this absolute NONSENSE continues!

My uncle phones me this morning (Saturday 6th November 2021) using his mobile phone to tell me that again his line is out of order but his broadband is working.

This is the third time and the common denominator is that the fault occurs when there is heavy rain!

I phone the fantastic call centre, the person takes my uncles mobile number then I'm told I can hang up.

He calls me 10 minutes later telling me someone from talktalk called him and he couldn't hear them. How about that, the fun keeps getting better!

I call again the super fantastic call centre, which, is totally geared up to an account holder calling and is woefully inadequate to a fault being reported by the non-account holder.

Absolutely F********** useless! I've no interest giving another number in case the call gets cut off, I've no interest in any specific account details and on and on.

All I want to know is if a fault has noW been logged with my uncles phone number.

HOW HARD IS THAT???? Could I get an answer, NO, so I hung up.

And my uncle told me he received a letter in the post about this priority repair service. Apparently he would have to fill in medical history, supply who knows what else, well that ain't gonna happen.

Another total JOKE the fact that someone who is 93 has to provide details to prove this. Stuff that. I'll be telling him not to bother.

There should be an age range where it automatically switches to priority repairs. eg 80, 85, etc. NO WAY should someone over 90 have to jump through hoops!

I am not calling talktalk again. In fact I would now like to leave and am going to check out other companies packages and I will be telling anyone about how rubbish talktalk service is.

This is a complete and utter FARCE!

Message 18 of 36

Hi daavv

Thanks for your reply.

If you do experience any further issues then please post back here and we can investigate this further.

Thanks

Debbie

daavv
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 36

Thank you for the reply.

As far as I know my uncle's phone line is working as of last Saturday.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 36

Hi

I'm really sorry to hear this. Can you confirm, as of this moment, is your uncles phone line working ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes