cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

13 Reasons why you should think carefully before moving to the 4K TV box.

trumpetman
Team Player
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

13 Reasons why you should think carefully before moving to the 4K TV box.

1. You can only record on one channel.
2. You have to record onto your own flash drive minimum 32Gb, maximum 1Tb.
3. You can pause live TV but you can’t rewind!
4. It is slow to start, 45 seconds, like an old valve TV.
5. Finding your recordings involves 7 key presses then another 7 on the ‘back’ key to get back to where you started.
6. When playing a recording you can’t jump one minute forward or 15 seconds backwards which, on the old Huawei box, made skipping through adverts very easy.
7. When going forward or backwards it does so at x3, x10, x30, x100 and x 200 and it is very hard to control. You have to keep watching the time slider and try to stop it in the correct place which you inevitably miss so you have to reverse. Any speed higher than x10 is guaranteed to miss the stopping point.
8. The remote has a X button that does nothing. (?)
9. It also has a button for teletext but no channels have teletext these days.
10. The volume slider settings are preset and there is no numerical display to indicate what volume is set.
11. There is no visual indication on the very small box to inform you that it is recording.
12. Having recorded a series on the schedule, there doesn’t appear to be any way of deleting the schedule! Crazy.
13. When you change channels it displays a list at the bottom of the screen that stays there ages unless you press the back button.

It seems they expect everyone to be streaming these days so there is no need to record. When streaming most channels don’t support subtitles which for those of us with impaired hearing makes it unwatchable.

On the good side it does have Wi-Fi so cuts down on cables and adapters and it does have Bluetooth so us hallf-deaf people can use headphones.

Silver surfer but been using and messing about with computers since MS DOS 5
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

If you are used to a PVR and what that offers then it is no substitute. If those features are important to you then you can of course buy your own. And there is no contract for TV services from TalkTalk, you can cancel at any time. 

Brisbob
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

Thanks for last 2 replies. The point I'm making is it's cr*p box for more money and longer contract 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Sorry @Brisbob but if you reread what you said, you said you can only pause not rewind. I was responding to that statement.

This box has many limitations and I have explained this fully in previous a post too.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

That's because the previous box was a PVR and this one isn't.

Brisbob
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for reply fr8ys.

That's what I said, you can only rewind to point you paused. With previous box you could replay from the time you first put channel on

i.e. if you left the room for a time you didn't have to stop it to be able to go back 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

You press pause, then play, then you can rewind to the point where you pressed pause. That is how time shifting works.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Brisbob
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

"You can rewind live TV but you need to have pressed pause to start the timeshift"

No you can't, you can pause but not rewind

0 Likes

Brisbob
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Well done trumpetman, wish I read this before (so called) upgrading. Another extra payment and longer contract for worse service. Will I never learn  😕 

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

A good precis but all of these have been highlighted before and most form part of the comparison chart.

2 points,

You can rewind live TV but you need to have pressed pause to start the timeshift function. You need to do this every time you change channel too. Not very effective but if you know you will want to rewind it can be done.

There is also a speech bubble that does nothing except bring up info on how to link to Alexa and you then use Alexa to control your box.

To delete recordings or schedules, go to the recordings tab across the top.

Select a recording and you then have the option to Paly or Delete

Below this scheduled recordings are shown. Again select and there is an option to Modify. click this and you can then delete the schedule.

Talktalk no longer supplies any box with recording functions except the 4k one which is very limited.

My view is the box should be classed as a Streaming box with a limited recording function.