cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

4K TV Box - 32gb - 1TB USB recording time

Crusader300
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 5

I have just received a 4K TV Box to replace my Huawei (with frozen hard drive) and it says I need a USB stick of 32gb to 1TB to be able to record (now only one program at a time), but it doesn't say how many hours of recording I will get from one extreme to the other - any ideas?

I was also told that I could use the USB recordings on any device, which is apparently an untrue selling feature, reading the instructions.

Chatty Man
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Crusader300
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 5

Thanks again for the useful information you have been most helpful. I already have a splitter to the TV so I can do that.

Chatty Man

Message 2 of 5

No sorry.

It would vary depending on whether you are recording HD or SD programmes.

If you only used 15% of 320gb, then I'd say you would be ok with 128GB, or if you wish to be safe the 256gb would be more than enough.

If you restrict yourself to recording non BBC programmes so you can skip adverts, you could use iPlayer and save more space.

This box is best thought of as a streaming box, with the ability for limited recording, as you can't watch one channel whilst recording another, unless you split the aerial so you have a separate feed to both box and TV, and record via the box and watch something else on the TV.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Crusader300
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 5

Thanks again for a prompt response.

I was thinking of SANDISK, which I have used successfully before. Any idea how many hours the 128 or 256 records. On the Huawei, which is a 320gb hard drive, I would only ever use about 15% max.?

Chatty Man
0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

Any recordings made are only available for playback on that device. This is normal for all recordable devices under licencing agreements.

The larger the usb capacity, the longer it takes to format the stick for use.

Whilst bigger sticks will give you more recording times, given the limitations of the box itself in only having one tuner, recommendations are for 128 or 256 gb sticks.

A word of warning, the box does not like fake sticks, many of which inflate the capacity beyond the actual capacity. Buy a reputable make from a reputable store (not from on line auction sites), and you should be ok. If you search this forum you will see many have fallen foul of buying cheap large capacity sticks.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).