cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband WiFi Connection Problems

opticfibre
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 50 of 50

Hi, I most recently reported this problem about 6 weeks ago but it actually goes back at least 18 months.  I chatted with Chris about it and for a while it seemed to resolve itself, but then returned.

My house is a typical 2-storey detached 1981 built house. 

The TT  Sagemon Fast router (replaced about 5 months ago) is located in upstairs bedroom, alongside main desktop PC (ethernet connected).  The Wifi extender TT provided about 6 weeks ago is downstairs at one end of long living room.  

Our 4 devices (2 mobile phones, 2 laptops) are mainly used downstairs in the living room, and continually lose Wifi connection (several times a day).  Wifi connection can only be regained by bringing the phone or laptop  close to the main router.  Bringing them close to the wifi extender does not have any effect.

The phones often show “Obtaining IP address . . .”.  One phone (Samsung S10e) is worse than the other (LG G6)

Both phones keep switching to 4G, thus incurring charges.

The ethernet-connected PC is usually OK but sometimes I have problems when linked up to a friend on MSFS 2020.

The ethernet-connected Smart TV occasionally says no internet connection, but then regains connection.

I'm really at a loss to know what to do.  TalkTalk, I must get this problem resolved . . .

0 Likes
49 REPLIES 49

Message 1 of 50

Hi

I'm using the Asus RT-AX56U.  My original router was fine, but I wanted something that had more control over devices connected, such as bandwidth limiting etc. Been using this one for about 3 years now.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 50

Karl, oh, good, thanks!  

As a matter of interest are you using the Asus RT-AX55?

I'm also looking at the Linksys MR7350, which has slightly better scores than the Netgear and is cheaper.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 50

Hi

That's great, then an ethernet cable will go from the port at the top of the socket, straight in to the Wan port of your new router.

When you set up a new router, just leave most settings to Auto. Some routers will ask for a broadband username and password, if it does, just use the following :

User :  telephonenumber@talktalk.net

pass : 12345678

I use an Asus router with my TalkTalk fibre, but it allowed me to choose an option, my ISP does not require a username or password etc.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 50

Yes, it does!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 50

Hi

A Modem was originally required for older ADSL connections. With Fibre connections, Either FTTC - Fibre to the Cabinet or FTTP (Full Fibre To The Premises), you can use a standard Broadband Router.

The Netgear AX1800 is a standard Broadband router with a WAN port.  

Does your Phone socket look like this :

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 50

Karl,  Thank you for your reply!  I have to say I'm confused about exactly what I DO want.  As I've said earlier, I want to replace my TT Fast router with a better 3rd-party router.  The ones I've looked at say in the blurb that they don't include a modem.  Are you saying that I don't need a modem if I were to replace my TT router with another one? 

If so, my problem is solved, and I'll go ahead and buy an alternative, probably  the Netgear AX1800.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 50

Hi

when connecting 2 broadband routers together, just connect the 2nd router via it's WAS port to the ethernet port of the first router.

If you only intend to use the wifi from the 2nd router, connect a device via ethernet to the first router, and log in via 192.168.1.1 with the username and password on the sticker on the back of the router, and turn off the wifi from the settings menu.

I'm not sure why you need to have 2 routers, if the 2nd router you wish to use is a full broadband router you could just connect this directly.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 8 of 50

Chris,  I'm not at all technical, please explain what you mean!......eg "Double NAT" ??

Also please explain HOW I would "just connect the router to the hub" and "switching off wifi" ??

0 Likes

Message 9 of 50

You would usually do  this by enabling bridge mode on the modem/router but this isn't an option on any of our hubs. A colleague says that they managed to get it working though by just connecting the router to the hub and switching wifi off on the hub, I think there's a potential problem of 'double NAT' though, which can cause connectivity issues.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 50

Chris, all the recommended 3rd party routers don't have a buit-in modem.

So I'm asking how do I configure and connect my existing TT router so it acts as just a modem?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 50

I think you can connect the Netgear to our hub and switch off the wifi on our router but a better option would be to buy a modem/router rather than just a router

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 50

Debbie, I thought I'd already replied, but can't see it so will try again.

I've decided to give up on the TT Fast router, and buy a Which magazine recommended 3rd-party router, like the Netgear RAX20 AX1800.

But it seems that these routers don't have a built-in modem.  Does this mean that I have to use the TT router as a modem, and connect it to the new router, and if so, how do I link the two together?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 50

Hi opticfibre

I have updated your router firmware to the latest version and I have made sure the WIFI optimisation is still switched off.

Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Message 14 of 50

Hi, well, I've got 2 apps on my mobile, WiFiAnalyzer and Netspot. I'm no expert in interpreting the data but there's no obvious interference.  OTOH, I'm not sure how it would show up.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 50

Have you used a WiFi analyser to check out wireless interference in your vicinity?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 50

Yes, it's a shame. 

I think @AllyM may be able to advise. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 17 of 50

Oh, that's a pity.  I'd bought the BT Smart Hub on the strength of the reply I'd had.  

Because of my on going problems with TT, and I assume its wifi hub FAST router, I'm trying to find something better.  The Which report shows the BT Router (72%)  much better than TT (51%) - but unfortunately not compatible.

I wonder if there are recommendations from other TT customers?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 50

@opticfibre, useful articles here:

https://onesmartshelter.com/bt-smart-hub-with-talktalk/

If you click through to the link mentioned in there about eg Plusnet being compatible, that would be fine as it is part of BT.

The Talktalk service won't work with this. While Talktalk uses Openreach serviced infrastructure, it has nothing to do with the BT group of ISPs.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 19 of 50

I think Karl was just covering generic router settings, without covering those that may be locked down because they are generally ISP provided. 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 50

As you can see I specifically asked earlier about the BT Smart Hub, and Karl gave me the procedure for setting it up (as a non TT Router), and said if I entered my user details it should all be OK. 

0 Likes