cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router randomly disconnects devices Sagemcom-FAST5464

stijn1990
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

A few weeks ago my router randomly started disconnecting various devices. They connect about 10 seconds later.

This is fairly annoying especially as I work from home and do online gaming

The devices itself have a 4-5 bar signal, so they have no issue

Also the speedtest to those devices is high enough, around 70mbps

I do notice that the Sagemcom-FAST5464 type routers have quite a poor range, I had to use a TP link extender, which has a direct line of sight to the router, no obstacles and only approx. 5-10m aways

The Router is even dropping the extender connection from time to time

Is there anything that can be done (apart from the usual stuff that I already tried) with this, before I ask TalkTalk if it is possible to send an upgraded router?

As said above, the usual stuff I tried is, reset router, re-locate router, re-connect devices, re-locate devices, some of which are just impractical. Even looked at router setup, channels, separating channels, etc…

I work in Telecom myself, so I have really tried everything

Thanks

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

That's great news, thanks for letting us know

Chris

Message 2 of 10

Hello,

It seems to be better now, no drop-outs so far

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hello,

Just checking in to see how the connection has been?

Thanks

Message 4 of 10

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 10

Thank you Karl

Will keep an eye on it

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hi

Wifi Optimisation is now off, see if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

Hi @stijn1990,

The support team here should be able to disable Wi-Fi Optimisation when they return tomorrow.

It is more common for the 2.4GHz band to be affected by interference, as that signal travels further, so neighbours routers can potentially interfere with your signal,  you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

TalkTalk allow the use of any modem/router, you don't have to use one of theirs, but if you use a third party modem/router you may well have to change some settings for it to be able to connect, full details here : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

Message 8 of 10

Hello,

Yes, that would be great. If someone could disable Wi-Fi Optimisation please, thank you.

No interference really, there is nothing really to interfere between the router and most devices.

My Wifi channels are currently synced, but I would say its mostly 2.4GHZ, as it happens with devices which are the furthest away from the router.

Just WiFi, no wired devices connected to router

Out of curiosity, does TalkTalk FTTC work with 3rd party routers?

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Hi @stijn1990,

The Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub has a feature called 'Wi-Fi Optimisation', this means it will change channels by itself to try to pick the best channel, it will do this even if you have specifically set a channel yourself in the router settings.

If the Wi-Fi environment in your home has a lot of interference this can sometimes cause your router to jump channels quite a lot, this can cause devices to drop and reconnect.

You can't switch Wi-Fi Optimisation off yourself, but the support team here on the community can switch it off for you. So if you are comfortable with trying different channels to see if you can get a good signal, then it might be worth asking the support team here to disable Wi-Fi Optimisation on your router, as this will ensure the router will stay on whatever channels you select. If you would like to have this feature disabled then just post back in this topic to ask the staff to do it for you.

The router you have is the top of the range router that TalkTalk supply, so there isn't really an 'upgraded' one that they could provide.

Have you noticed if the problem is specific to one of the Wi-Fi bands (either 2.4GHz or 5GHz), or does it affect both ?

EDIT : Having said all of that, I should double check, is this issue specific to Wi-Fi, i.e. you don't have any devices connected wired that also lose connection ?