cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

4/5 year old router having issues

RouterProblem
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 7

Hoping someone at Talk talk can help. I contacted TT via the live chat service three days ago to make them aware out internet has sporadically dropped multiple times per day for a few weeks now. The agent suggested the line did not show any faults and updated the out-of-date software on our router that was given to us by TT in the latter part of 2019 or early 2020. This appeared to work for around 6 hours but the issues returned. My wife and I both work from home so this is proving an issue. I contacted TT again on Friday morning (live chat - unable to call as it kept suggesting live chat only), and made the agent aware it did not resolve the matter and stressed that appears the router is simply turning itself off and on again. Openreach were instructed to review a potential fault with the line and I had a text from them today suggesting they believe the matter to be fixed (no context or further information given), however outages continue. I said in both occasions to the agents on live chat that our router is old and that we did not receive new ones at the two renewal points that had passed in the interim, but there seems to be a general reluctance to issue me a replacement, even though I can see it turn itself off anf on again via the power light. TT customer services, please replace my aging faulty router? 

Thanks

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7
0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Hi 

I'm really sorry about this.

I've ordered you a replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Thank you very much for your time and help Keith, I'll update the profile and hope TT pick it up soon. Thanks again, really appreciate it. 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 7

Ah that changes everything, I bet it has been upgraded to firmware V1.08, which is very unstable. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up, I expect that TT will offer to replace it with a different router in this case. 

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

RouterProblem
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for your message. It's model number DG8041W-2.T5, circa 4/5 years old. When the interet goes down, the router displays a full red light for some time followed by a flashing red light for a similar length of time, and then connects. It's like it's switching itself on and off.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

Which make/model of router do you have? Exactly what sequence of light colours are you seeing, as depending on the router that you have, this could be indicative of the line fault that you mentioned.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes