cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

BTinternet email

graemew
Team Player
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

I can receive btinternet email but can't send on TalkTalk connection. Connecting on O2 4G is fine. Is there an issue between TalkTalk and BT?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Okey Dokey! Great to know your BT Mail is back in action.

I appreciate your time to let me know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

graemew1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

Thanks for the suggestion to change dns settings, I thought I'd try email before changing to google's addresses and it is now working!

Hopefully the issue is resolved.

Message 3 of 8

There was a suggestion that changing the router DNS server to Google DNS, for example, may effect a fix. Do let us know if that works and we can follow up to see why BT Mail DNS server changes haven't propagated to the TalkTalk DNS. 

0 Likes

graemew1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 8

That is correct. I have checked all settings and they are good. I have tried from 2 other PCs with Outlook, same result. I noticed there was a post in May 2023 with the same issue but couldn't see the fix.

I do pay for bt email too. No problems with TalkTalk or gmail accounts.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Ah, you mean you're trying to sign in to your BT Mail mailbox and send from BT Mail. Are you paying for the premium BT Mail service at £7.50 a month? Asking just to make sure you do have the ability to use an email client to connect to your mailbox. Normally, 60 days after leaving BT Broadband your BT Mail will revert to BT Mail Basic that is webmail only access.

Assuming you do have BT Mail Premium then the outgoing server settings are as follows:

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selecting SSL, so you'll need to check)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Authentication: PLAIN PASSWORD

Username: your full email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

Are you using those settings or something else with BT Mail Premium?

0 Likes

graemew1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

I'm trying to send from Outlook on my PC and Android mail both on wi-fi on TalkTalk broadband. It fails to log into smtp.btinternet.com.

If I connect pc and Android to my O2 4g it works fine.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

I've just sent a mail message from TalkTalk Mail webmail to a BT Mail address and that's fine. How are you attempting to send mail?

0 Likes