Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed degradation in the evening

wephi
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 10

I've had an issue every evening for the last 12 days with my Broadband speed. Prior to this, my speed was pretty good all the time. Between 7 and 8pm (a couple of times, slightly earlier), the speed will degrade from around the guaranteed TalkTalk speed in my contract, to around 2Mbps. It will remain like this (sometimes less sometimes slightly more) until around 11pm.

There are 2 of us in the property and, as we are retired, our internet use doesn't vary much during the times we are in the house. We watch quite a bit of catch-up TV on our Smart TV (WiFi connected). This was how we first encountered the problem (i.e. Buffering iPlayer, poor picture quality etc.). I honestly can't think of anything that happens differently at this time in the evenings to other times in the day when all is good.

I've had 3 "Chats" with the Technical team. The latest was this evening while this issue was happening. The advisor tried a few things (router reboot, turning off all devices..) but nothing made any difference. The advisor confirmed that from their tests, the speed to the router was good and in line with guaranteed speeds. 

What I don't understand is that one the speed tests on the TalkTalk website shows the speed to the router and the speed to the device from the router. Both show "poor" connections and roughly the same speed I'm seeing from the other TalkTalk speed test (and other speed test sites). So is the speed "to" the router not what it appears to be? If so, what's the point of it?

I asked the advisor to explain this aspect but they could not, just apologised.

I have reluctantly agreed to a Engineer visit because I felt I had no choice, but am worried that they will find nothing amiss and I will be out of pocket by £50! Can anyone reassure me about this (i.e. they may still be able to diagnose a problem outside of my control)? 

Some screenshots of my speed tests.

wephi_3-1635546140842.png

wephi_1-1635546024380.png

wephi_2-1635546066588.png

Any advice

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Morning,

I'm really glad to hear this. This is most likely due to the work completed by our Network Engineers, however I'm just waiting for them to confirm this.

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

wephi
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 10

@Michelle-TalkTalk, just to let you know that we had our first problem-free evening for 2 weeks or so, in terms of connection speeds. No buffering, screen freezes etc.

I checked speeds at regular intervals and they were great. I assume therefore that the problem has been resolved? 

Thank you so much for your efforts in this! 

Message 3 of 10

Hello,

This issue has now been identified and our team are currently working to resolve. I will post back with further confirmation as soon as they confirm that we can retest.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Morning,

I've not heard anymore on this since yesterday so I've escalated this further and will post back as soon as I know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Hello,

Thank you. I'm currently looking into this with our Network Engineers at the moment and will post back as soon as I know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hi Michelle, the number wasn't correct (sorry! ) but it is now. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 10

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, is the telephone number in your Community Profile correct?

Thanks

0 Likes

wephi
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 10

@Gliwmaeden2 thanks for your reply.

Yes I'm on Fibre 65 and have been since July this year. No problems at all before the beginning of last week.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

@wephi, unfortunately staff usually don't work on here at weekends, so can't investigate for you before Monday. 

Agreed that those evening download speeds are appalling. 

Are you on Fibre65? Perhaps just clarify that point, but these low speeds would look unacceptable even on basic Fast Broadband!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes