cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Disable wifi optimisation

evilnick
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

Please could I have the wifi optimisation disabled on my router? The fact that the channel keeps changing means my network is not-working

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18
0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

The product team have turned it off as requested, apologies for delay

Chris

Message 3 of 18

Huh? What D-link extenders?

For the 5th time now, please can you arrange to turn off wifi optimisation?

That's all that I'm asking for. Why is this so time-consuming?

Just like in this thread: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/WIFI-OPTIMISATION/m-p/3035923#M864885 - please turn off wifi optimisation - you have 24 hours before I take my money to another ISP who won't mess me about.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

OK, the feedback I've received says that some of the interference is being caused by the d-link extenders but I'll pass on your latest comments

Chris

Message 5 of 18

Sure, I have 2 routers connected via wifi (one is the TalkTalk router, one some Asus one), each also has devices connected to the LAN.

The 2 routers are set so that the TalkTalk router uses channel 44, serves the wifi connection and does the dhcp for both routers.

The Asus router is configured as a wifi bridge, so uses channel 44, and connects to the TalkTalk router's SSID.

When the TalkTalk router is behaving correctly, (i.e. using channel 44) every device be it wifi or wired can see every other device.

When the TalkTalk router randomly changes channels, the Asus router can no longer communicate to any device (except the one wired into it).

Therefore, I need the TalkTalk router to stay on channel 44 and everything will be working 100%. I don't like having to log into the admin section and set it back to 44 on a daily basis.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Hi evilnick,

Could you explain exactly what you mean when you say that it breaks your network, what exactly happens?

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

OK thanks for trying. I'll pass this back to our product team

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Sure, it always does the same thing:

Power off the TalkTalk router, leave it 5 mins, power back on

It will use the channel that I have specified (44)

Within 24 hours, it will switch to another channel, which breaks my network

At that point I can either set the channel back to 44, and wait for the router to disobey and set the channel to something else. Or reboot and then wait for the router to set the channel to something else.

This is the reason I have asked for the wifi optimisation to be turned off, as I believe that this is the reason the router changes channel when it should not do so.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi evilnick

Apologies for this.

Could you try rebooting the router and then retesting again?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

It's not a good thing when you're trying to use a wireless bridge, and so NEED the channel to stay as what I have set it, 44.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

It will be wifi optimisation that's causing the channel to change but this is usually a good thing as wifi optimisation should choose the best channel at any given time. We ask that you reboot the router because it may be something else that's causing the problem with your network

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Chris,

The issue is that regardless of how many times I set the channel to be 44, this will change within 24 hours. Something outside of my control is changing this, and according to the many posts in this forum, apparently this is known as wifi optimisation. And is a setting that only TalkTalk can change.

Therefore, I require the wifi optimisation to be disabled on my connection.

Switching the router off for 5 minutes has 0 effect on this.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi evilnick,

Could you switch your router off, leave it off for 5 minutes, then swith back on and monitor to see if you are then still experiencing problems with your network. Please let us know how you get on

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

It's been a week now, so please could someone let me know when you will be able to give me the service that I have paid for? I'm very close to cancelling my subscription.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

No, that's fine, we'll let you know when we have more information

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

Hi there,

Is there any additional information that I need to provide?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 17 of 18

Hi evilnick

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've asked our Devices Team to take a look at this for you and I will post back as soon as I have further information.

Thanks

Debbie