cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

CONTRADICTORY MESSAGES FROM TALK TALK RE STATUS OF MY LINE CONNECTION

Fizzbin2000
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 55 of 55

I just ran a test on my connection as my internet has been poor lately - regularly turning off and needing to be rebooted using the modem box.

I received an e-mail from TALK TALK saying the test had been fine and they couldn't find any problems with the line.  Everythnig working as it should do etc.

On the TALK TALK web page - where I initiated the test on my line - I get a message saying " Please contact us.  We've found an issue with your connection and need to speak to you.  Please chat with us using the link below."  The link - of course - does not work.

What am I to make of this TALK TALK?  Please enlighten me - is my service running as it should or not?

0 Likes
54 REPLIES 54

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 41 of 55

How is another ISP going to improve your internal setup? Why can you not connect to the test socket? If an engineer were to attend that is one of the first things they would want to check. 

0 Likes

Message 42 of 55

I can't really do that I'm afraid.

I just ran a speed test on my service and the results were:

Speed to router   16Mbps (Poor)

Speed to my device 10Mbps download/2Mbps upload (Poor)

Talk Talk say they guarantee 20Mbps.

Looks like I will be moving to a new ISP very shortly....

0 Likes

Message 43 of 55

Would it be possible to just test with one telephone connected to the test socket - Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

0 Likes

Message 44 of 55

I have three phones - the main one is plugged into the master socket and I have extensions running from that to two other phone sockets in different parts of the house.  So all phones plug (directly or indirectly) into a BT wall socket.  I don't have any other phones other than my mobile.

0 Likes

Message 45 of 55

Hi Fizzbin2000,

As ferguson has asked, are the phones a wireless set? If they are do you have another telephone that you can test with?

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 46 of 55

Are your phones connected as a wireless set, or do you have separate extension sockets?

0 Likes

Message 47 of 55

I have three phones and on one of them the person on the other end of the line cannot hear me very well.

On the other two phones I sometimes get an echo effect, the volume of the call fluctuates and there are various noises like clicks in the background.

Also - whenever I answer my landline phone (or at least one of the three phones I have) the internet cuts out and I have to turn the black box device (router) on and off again.

I think this is a problem with my landline phone so it's for BT not Talk Talk?

0 Likes

Message 48 of 55

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. What issues are you experiencing with the voice service as this can affect the broadband connection? The new router will just need to be connected.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 49 of 55

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me.

Afraid not possible to connect direct to the master socket - it is in another room and inaccessible.

On the router issue - is my one out of date?  How stressful will it be to set up a new one?  Will be a better model?  Will I need a new password?

Performance of my internet has not been too bad in the last week but I do think there is a problem with my phone line but that will be for BT to resolve rather than Talk Talk?

JA

0 Likes

Message 50 of 55

Hi Fizzbin2000

Do you still need help with this?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 51 of 55

Hi Fizzbin2000

Thanks for your reply.

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket just so we can run one more line test in this set up?

I think we should also send a replacement router, are you happy for me to arrange this?

Thanks again.

Debbie

Fizzbin2000
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 52 of 55

Router it not connected directly to the master socket - but via an extension - but it's never been a problem before.

The router is a D-Link model DSL-3782.

0 Likes

Fizzbin2000
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 53 of 55

Hi

My router is not plugged directly into my master socket - it never has been and it's not been a problem before.

The router is a D-Link model DSL-3782.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 54 of 55

Hi Fizzbin2000

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test is detecting a potential fault towards the property and Openreach are requesting that we arrange an engineer visit.

Is your router currently connected at the test socket? Which router are you using? (make and model)