cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Connection to personal domain

crashmeplease
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

I appear to have trouble connecting to services (web/mail) on my personal domain while using the talk talk network.  I I switch to mobile data or try from another network everything works as expected. This has only happened recently, in the past I have had no issues so I suspect somewhere along the my domain may have become blocked on Talk Talk? I receive the standard connection time out messages.

My domain in question is crashmeplease.co.uk, and hosted on whuk6.whukhost.com, at 213.175.217.147

traceroute to crashmeplease.co.uk (213.175.217.147), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1  _gateway (192.168.1.1)  3.955 ms * *
2  ae52-ner002.nec.as13285.net (78.144.1.11)  20.358 ms  22.496 ms  22.911 ms
3  ae52-scr101.loh.as13285.net (78.144.1.10)  29.824 ms  35.950 ms  23.392 ms
4  ge-0-1.linx.lon.nodefour.net (195.66.224.135)  24.346 ms  25.020 ms  43.823 ms
5  mx02-xe0.0.1-nht.dc4.nodefour.net (109.234.203.245)  30.253 ms  30.659 ms  31.896 ms
6  77.111.212.79 (77.111.212.79)  32.447 ms  19.443 ms  18.093 ms
7  mx01-xe2.0.2-wkf.dc3.nodefour.net (77.111.212.13)  21.776 ms  22.359 ms  22.725 ms
8  77.111.217.13 (77.111.217.13)  23.844 ms 77.111.217.12 (77.111.217.12)  24.515 ms  25.310 ms
9  * * *

And that is about the extent of my diagnostic knowledge. What is unusual (to me) is that when using mobile data I get to the same end point 77.111.217.12/13 however the domain is reachable and working ok.

As this seems to only be an issue on the Talk Talk network I thought I would pose the question here first, as I don't really know what else to look for. I don't use any parental control type aps. 

Thanks

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi

Glad access has been restored.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Ok, so I managed to do a factory reset this morning and everything appears to be working, again, I can access the services on the domain once again.  I have no idea what would have changed to stop me before but at this point I am glad it is back.  

Many Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi

Thank you. I will check in with you again tomorrow morning.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Yes it's a Talk Talk router DG8041W

I will factory reset it myself tonight when I get home and update when that it has been done, we can then try again tonight or tomorrow. Thanks.

Message 5 of 17

Hi

I'm still unable to connect to your router. Are you using a TalkTalk router?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi, I am currently not at home myself, however I believe that the router has been reset and no change if you want to try connecting again.  Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi

Thank you. 

I can't connect to your router. Please can you factory reset the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds and then try and connect again?

Debbie

Message 8 of 17

Profile Updated.

Yes this has worked for many years on Talk Talk, at least 5 years previously without checking my records. I have used it since day one of becoming a Talk Talk customer. I use the domain mainly for personal email and file storage.

I am not seeing anything any more when connecting to the domain crashmeplease.co.uk (213.175.217.147) , just timeout for email and web services, when connected via Talk Talk.  This is a standard timeout page, no content blocked, privacy or filtering messages.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hello,

Can I just confirm, has this ever worked on TalkTalk? At what stage is this blocked? When you're trying to load the site or enter your details? Can you see the website or are you not getting this far?

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 17

You seem to be drip-feeding me information. In light of what you have just said, I think it best if TalkTalk's network team get involved. I will request this for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi,

I think you are misunderstanding the issue; I am not trying to have my routers public ip address as my domain name and host the web services locally

I am trying to connect to an existing service on the internet from home (talk talk network) and that is not responding. Yes I also own the domain crashmeplease.co.uk in question that the services are attached to, have done for many years, without issues.

Home Router (92.7.178.69) > public internet > web / email server (crashmeplease.co.uk, 213.175.217.147)

I can connect to services on crashmeplease.co.uk through TOR but not through a standard connection while using my home talk talk connection. This has only happened in the last couple of weeks, previously it has been fine for many years.

If I use a public internet connection, then I can connect to services on crashmeplease.co.uk without issues.

It appears to me that now Talk Talk is doing some content filtering to stop this domain working, at this moment that is all I can theorise, but I am stumped on how to proceed and tackle this further.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 17

This seems to me like an issue on your domain, if it is resolving to 213.175.217.147 this is not your router's public IP address, as you said that is 92.7.178.69, surely they should be the same if this is a DDNS domain.

Q6 relates to tour computer originating the connection. It will need a destination IP address or domain, is the crashmeplease.co.uk the full domain?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

@KeithFrench wrote:

Then you seem to come back in on what I am assuming is the router's public IP address:-

8  77.111.217.13 (77.111.217.13)  23.844 ms 77.111.217.12 (77.111.217.12)

No, the routers public address is displayed as 92.7.178.69, the one above appears to be part of the RIPE network;

https://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/77.111.217.12

You said that if you just use mobile data you come back into this same endpoint, hence why I assume that this is the router's Public IP address.

When I refer to using mobile data I mean either directly using my phone browser or as a wifi hotspot, not connecting to any talk talk router.  I am guessing using mobile data or talk talk both end up using the RIPE server above for whatever reason?

Obviously, I do not know what your router's WAN IP address is, as you have not told me. All TalkTalk routers with the exception of the DG8041W block NAT loopback. However, even this router only allows NAT loopback for some ports, but not all.

1) Yes I have a DG8041W.

2) The public address is currently  92.7.178.69

3) Computer > Router  or Laptop > Router (If I understand the question correctly)

4) It is a shared hosting linux based webserver, apache I believe. Operated by https://www.webhosting.uk.com/

5) Yes correctly resolves to crashmeplease.co.uk (213.175.217.147)

6) Not sure I understand this question.

Now here is something I noticed today, if I use the TOR browser, the connection works, so it must be something specific to content or location filtering?

Thanks.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 17

Your first hop is the router 192.168.1.1:-

1  _gateway (192.168.1.1) 

Then you seem to come back in on what I am assuming is the router's public IP address:-

8  77.111.217.13 (77.111.217.13)  23.844 ms 77.111.217.12 (77.111.217.12)

You said that if you just use mobile data you come back into this same endpoint, hence why I assume that this is the router's Public IP address.

From all of this I can only assume that you are originating the connection attempt from a device locally connected to your router and trying to connect to a domain that is mapped to the router's WAN IP address. 

Obviously, I do not know what your router's WAN IP address is, as you have not told me. All TalkTalk routers with the exception of the DG8041W block NAT loopback. However, even this router only allows NAT loopback for some ports, but not all.

There isn't much more I can say without some details as to your setup here, I have no idea:-

1. What router you have?
  2. What is its public IP address?
  3. What device you are originating the connection from & what it is connected to?
  4. What type of device the domain tries to connect to & what webserver is running on it?
  5. Is the domain (presumably DDNS) resolved to the correct IP address?
  6. Are you correctly specifying the domain correctly as the destination host/IP address on the originating device?

Sorry, but I can't help with a complex query without knowing any of the basics.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

Hi Keith,  Why do you think that the routing is going out from the router & back in again?  What would cause that? 

My issue is only with this one domain, everything else works as expected, so wouldn't all my traffic be blocked if this was the case?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

You appear to be routing out from the router & back in again. NAT Loopback is blocked on TalkTalk routers, as they class it as a security risk.

Keith

0 Likes