cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Constant drop outs of service.

M6YIF
Participant
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

I and many other radio hams log into a server that is security protected. The server allows certain IP's to connect. The constant dropping out of my service means my router is constantly changing it's IP to the outside world, therefore the server owner has to manually add my 'new' IP everytime it changes . TT have told me they don't supply static IP's to non business customers, so TT, why am I getting constant daily dropouts of service?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Morning,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know if you do need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

M6YIF
Participant
Private Message
Message 2 of 9

The problem seems to have cleared. It's not dropped out the last two or three of days. I'll see how it goes now i'm back into normal routine after the jubilee weekend.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi M6YIF

Sorry for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

I can only see 1 re connection on the line. Are you still experiencing this issue?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

OK, but the point that was made earlier alluded to the fact that external IP addresses change almost instantly when rebooting on an ADSL (i.e. all copper) line, whereas that doesn't happen on a VDSL FTTC line. The latter are more limited. 

0 Likes

M6YIF
Participant
Private Message
Message 5 of 9

That's what I thought. I didn't want to say it was a Fibre connection if it wasn't 🙂 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 9

Fibre 35 is essentially a hybrid package known as VDSL:  FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) with the last part of the connection on the copper line from the cabinet to your home. 

0 Likes

M6YIF
Participant
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

I've done everything you've suggested. All seems fine.
What does confuse me is that I'm on a 'Fibre 35 package', but it's an ADSL connection, eg, wires to the house??

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hi @M6YIF,

As you have found out, TalkTalk do not provide static IP's for their residential broadband services. Are you on an ADSL package, or a Fibre package ?. With ADSL you will usually get a new IP every time your router reconnects, with Fibre the IP tends to be a bit more 'sticky' but can still change after a reconnection.

If your router is dropping its connection regularly then this may indicate a fault somewhere.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there (via a microfilter), that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

The Support Team here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

0 Likes