cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Damaged internet cable outside. Who will fix it?

amfisted
First Timer
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

Apologies if this post is repeated. 

Set up a line test earlier on because the outdoor cable from the exterior junction box to our living room has been damaged by the weather. The line test found that the line is functioning, but its clear to me that cable with split insulation and internal wiring exposed will eventually break down.  I called TT, who were no help at all and gave me the number for Openreach, who also couldn't help because the damaged wiring isn't a danger to the public. So to whom do I report broken but functioning cable in order to get it fixed before it breaks down? Or is it industry practice to wait for breakdown before doing anything?

I'm sorely tempted to replace the cable myself, though I know that anything on the master socket side of our wiring is Openreach's property and responsibility. 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi amfisted

Thanks for your reply.

I can arrange the engineer visit I just can't guarantee if there will be any charges unfortunately. This will depend on what the engineers puts in their report.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi Michelle

Thanks again. The story has moved on!

I made another call to TT on Friday because our internet and phone had completely failed, and an Openreach visit was arranged. It later transpired that just before our internet went off and I made that call, Openreach had visited my next door neighbour to fix a fault on her phone line, because of the wires connecting her cable had come adrift in the exterior junction box. The Openreach engineer reconnected her phone, but managed to disconnect one of our wires whilst doing so. I alerted the engineer because he was still on site, and he put the wire back. So we now have internet and phone again, but still have a damaged cable which is likely to fail.

It appears from the experience of the last few days that nobody will actually do anything unless the cable physically fails, so I'm now resigned to waiting for this to happen. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi amfisted

I can arrange an Openreach engineer to take a look but I have to advise that this may be a chargeable visit if there is no fault present at the moment.

The charge will depend on what the engineer advises.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Thanks for that.

Attached is one photo that I took yesterday: you can clearly see the split insulation with the internal wires exposed.  Hopefully, that is, because the image has come out slightly blurred. 

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 5 of 8

You should be able to just use the camera icon.....

Skynet_TX_0-1657741753186.png

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Hi Michelle, thanks for replying and apologies for taking so long to respond.

I've taken two photographs of the damaged cable, showing the split insulation with the internal wires clearly visible. However they're in JPG form and I haven't yet worked out how to change the file format to enable me to download to this forum.

Bear with me. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Hello,

Can I just confirm, is there any noise on the voice service? Is the service affected during wet or windy weather, etc? Would it be possible to post a picture of the damage? (Please don't post any personal information)

Thanks

0 Likes