cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Download speed gets progressively worse, especially when streaming

erikpostma
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

Although speeds were decent for a couple of months, now the speed drops of dramatically, especially when streaming. Restarting the router fixes it for a little while, and in the morning speeds are okayish again. A TalkTalk online speed check saya that speeds to the router are fine, but from the router to any devices are too low. I have run all the diagnostic checks: Signal strength is sufficient, and I tried different channels and disconnecting all but one device, but to no avail. Is this a faulty router? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions that will get me back to a download speed that is fit for purpose.  

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi Erik

How are you getting on, have you received the replacement router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi Erik

I have ordered you a replacement router for testing, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

erikpostma
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 3 of 13

Good morning @Michelle-TalkTalk,

No, I am afraid I don’t have another router.

Erik

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and they still look unstable. Do you have a different router that you could test with please?

Thanks

Message 5 of 13

Yes, of course. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hello,

Thank you. Would it be ok if we can re-check the connection stats again tomorrow morning as it can take between 24-48hrs for us to see if the connection/speed is stable at the test socket?

Thanks

erikpostma
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 7 of 13

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk, Thanks for getting back to me and testing the line. Yes, the main socket has a test socket. I will plug the router in there for now. Speeds on my end look very similar. Note that speeds are good in the morning, but get progressively worse and are very poor in the evening, especially after streaming.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Morning,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed is varying. Is there any noise on the voice service? Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

Message 9 of 13

To follow up from my previous message, I have now connected over ethernet and am getting similarly slow (and very variable) download speeds. 

Thanks again,

Erik

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 10 of 13

Interesting that you have the DG8041W, as I had a similar issue with two of those where the router connection speed looked fine, but my actual download speed used to keep dropping to very low values until I restarted the router, which got the speeds back again.

Would be interesting to prove if your problem is also apparent over Ethernet (for me it affected both Wi-Fi & Ethernet), as if it does affect Ethernet then that will then allow us to eliminate the Wi-Fi environment as a possible cause.

Also, when the support team here are back on Monday they will be able to run some tests, but if they can't see any other issues, and if they think this might be an issue related to the router itself, it is possible they may be able to offer you a router of an alternative type to test with.

erikpostma
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 11 of 13

Thanks for getting back to me @Skynet_TX!

I have a Huawei DG8041W router. Estimated speed is 17-20 Mbps, and earlier this evening measured speed fluctuated around 10-15 Mbps. However, as I write this it has gone to 0.6 Mbps. According to the router the current speed is 21 Mbps. I will try connecting with an ethernet cable tomorrow.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi @erikpostma,

What model of router do you have ?

If you go to the Service Centre what does it show for your ‘Estimated Speed’ and your ‘Measured Speed’. If you run a speed test (ideally from both a wired and wireless device so that you can compare), how close are the speed test results to that ‘Measured Speed’.

The Support Team here won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.