cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Eero 2.4 GHz channel

stewart_61
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

Hi, My Samsung S7 tablet connects to my eero pro 6 using the 2.4 GHz wifi network (it is 5GHz capable but refuses to connect to this eero using 5GHz). This hasn’t really been a problem until recently when I repeatedly start to get buffering on streaming from the internet – especially at ‘peak’ times. So, I am thinking there maybe external interference on the 2.4GHz channel.  Can I change the channel the Eero uses for 2.4Ghz network? -  currently set to channel 6.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 8

Hi stewart,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I wonder if the channel 155 type problem of Eero 6, has a variation on it with the Eero Pro 6. The customer in post #3 told me that the channel allocation was:-

• The 2.4 GHz band is on Channel 6 (Control Channel 6; bandwidth 20MHz)
  • The 5GHz (low) band is on Channel 58    (Control Channel   58; bandwidth 80MHz)
  • The 5GHz (high) band is on Channel 106 (Control Channel 104; bandwidth 80MHz)

However, the customer sent me a screenshot of the 5GHz (Low) band a few days later and there was no channel information in there at all. Is that a bug?

With the 5GHz (Low) band being on channel 58, this is above the channel range 36 to 48, which ensures maximum compatibility. Is this correct (perhaps the Eero Pro 6 has done this knowing the capabilities of the currently connected devices)? However, the customer is trying to get a new device connected to either 5GHz band. If this device only supports 36 to 48, this would account for why it is stuck on the 2.4GHz band.

Please can you pass to the Devices team for clarification?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 8

Hi stewart,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 8

Hi @stewart_61 

Just a thought, do you have the Eero Pro 6, rather than just the Eero 6? 

If so, please can you actually send me screenshots from the complete Radio Analytics page for each Wi-Fi band. I do not have an Eero myself but need to look into some other related topics that might affect your issue.

Please can you PM these to me, to protect your privacy? See my previous post if you are in any doubt as to who I am , alternatively contact Debbie or Michelle in that post who are TalkTalk support staff on this forum.

Thanks very much.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the info, that should basically be OK, but the next thing is to look at the quality of the 5GHz band compared to the 2.4GHz one.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Whilst the Eero is supposed to manage Wi-Fi interference, if this is very bad, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then it cannot do anything about it, no router can. The same goes for any router at that point. Other things that may then need to be investigated are its location within your property and the WiFi bands that you use. It is possible that you may also need to purchase additional Eero nodes as it is supposed to operate as part of a mesh system. I can help with any of this. However, I would suggest that you follow my help to find out what the root cause of the problem is, before throwing money at it.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

stewart_61
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for your reply.

Looking at the Radio Analytics on the Eero app:-

• The 2.4 GHz band is on Channel 6 (Control Channel 6; bandwidth 20MHz)
  • The 5GHz (low) band is on Channel 58    (Control Channel   58; bandwidth 80MHz)
  • The 5GHz (high) band is on Channel 106 (Control Channel 104; bandwidth 80MHz)

To confirm, The tablet is currently using the 2.4 GHz band on Channel 6

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

You cannot change any channels on the Eero. Just because your tablet supports the 5GHz band, it does not mean that it will support the channel number that the Eero is using. Please can you check in the app under radio analytics and tell me which channel it is using currently in the 5GHz band?

Keith

0 Likes