cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Frequent Drop Outs - never an issue with BT

Brock_and_Roll
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

Hi,

I have TT broadband via a Sagemcom-FAST5364 router. Connection speed has always been excellent as we live only 150 yards from the BT exchange.

Since moving to TT we have been suffering frequent tempory drop outs which is a big issue for me due to work calls etc. I dont believe the issue is the router - the previous one broke and has been replaced but the issue persists. I also dont believe it is due to any throttling / usage issues as I am writing this at 7am on Sunday morning and have already experienced 5 drop outs in 90 minutes.

Before I go cap in hand back to BT as my package ends shortly, is there anything that I can try to fix this?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi again,

Ok thanks for confirming. I've re-run the line test now which is clear. If the connection is still dropping at the test socket with 2 different routers then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property to investigate further. If you'd like to go ahead with this then please let us know and we can confirm some details with you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Brock_and_Roll
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 10

I am using the new router that TT sent me just a couple of weeks ago after the last one malfunctioned.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi Brock_and_Roll,

I'm sorry to hear this. Do you have an alternative router that you could test with to rule this out? If not then please let us know and we can send a replacement router for testing purposes.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

@Brock_and_Roll, it will be the same infrastructure affecting the line if there's any problem there, but you didn't get back to staff to reply to their last question. 

If you don't have an alternative router to test with, forum staff always send out a replacement at no charge so as to eliminate the possibility that the router has developed a fault.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Brock_and_Roll
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 10

Hi all,

Since my last message I have looked at various things including going direct via the BT Master Socket, switching over the Micro Filters, turning off WAN and LAN separately and nothing has made any difference.

I got up at 6am this Sunday  (ie the quietest possible time) to watch the Grand Prix this morning and suffered 4 "flashing orange" drop outs in the space of 90 minutes which ruined the race.

To be honest I am out of contract in a few days so I have nothing to lose switching back to BT. As my wife constantly reminds me this is the 2nd time in 5 years or so that I have had to leave TT.  TT is fine for my elderly mother, but If you run your own business, do a lot of imporant zoom calls at home, or play deathmatch COD then I really cant recommend this service - never mind the fact that they rely on the very generous (and presumably free) help of other users on this forum.

Thanks all

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Hello,

Thanks for the update. Does your main socket have a test socket please? Do you also have an alternative router that you could test with?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Hi,

Thanks for your help to date. I have now had a chance to have a look at the router as and when the connection drops. While I was working the connection dropped several times - orange flashing light before going white again. Yesterday however I had a more lengthy drop out (at a cruical moment when I was watching the cricket!) and on this occasion the white light stayed on the whole time.

To be clear these drop outs affect both LAN and WAN connections. I also have no noise on the line and live very close to the exchange indeed. Judging from the raft of similar issues being reported on this forum it would seem there is a wider TT problem.

Regards

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 10

Hi Brock_and_Roll,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Is there any noise on the voice service? Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

Michelle

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Please can you elaborate by answering these few questions:-

1. What is the exact status of the light on the front of the router when this happens?
2. If you have any wired connections, are they affected in the same way as wireless ones?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes