cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Full fibre activation

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 30 of 30

Installation of my full fibre upgrade has just been completed. Before leaving, the engineer informed me that it could take up to twenty-four hours to activate so, for now, I still have BOTH the ONT and my landline connected to my router.

Will I receive any notification of activation, or will I have to check it via trial-and-error disconnection of my landline from my router?

Also, once full fibre becomes active, does data transmission via my landline cease? If so, I infer that I could then remove the 'splitters' from my landline as it would then revert to being a dedicated telephone line. Is that correct?

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 21 of 30

In the absence of any meaningful response, I've experimented with my connections (as I probably should have done from the start), and can now report that...

• With the ethernet cable from the ONT removed from my router's WAN port, I have internet access (i.e. via my landline, as before).
  • With the ONT connection restored, and my landline cable removed from my router's broadband port, I have NO internet access.

So the obvious conclusion is that my fibre connection has still to be activated more than forty-eight hours after installation, which I shall now report as a fault.

Once the fault has been fixed, I shall repeat the above actions, which will hopefully go some way towards answering my original queries for myself. 

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 22 of 30

Sorry, but I don't understand the need for a PM. My queries seem to me to be perfectly simple, basic, and straightforward, namely...

I now have a physical full-fibre broadband connection, but I don't know whether or not it has actually been activated yet. So...

Will I receive any form of notification that full-fibre is active?

...or will I just have to try repeatedly disconnecting my landline from my router's broadband port to see if I still have internet access (in which case, it could only be a fibre connection via the WAN port)?

Once full fibre is active, will data transmission via my landline continue?

...and if it does, would there be any adverse impact if my landline were to remain connected to my router, thereby duplicating the signal source?

...or if it doesn't, can I then remove the splitters from my landline (which would have then become a dedicated phone line once more, making the splitters redundant)?

There is no personal data involved here, so why can't the discussion simply continue in the forum?

For the record, I still have four green lights on the ONT, and can still access the internet... I just don't know by what means!

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Message 23 of 30

Hi Kincavel

Ok, I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 24 of 30

There may be some confusion here, depending upon when the last update occurred. The installation actually took place over two days. On day one, only the internal and external boxes were installed. The cable connection to the external box couldn't be done because the metal pole couldn't be climbed... and a cherry-picker wasn't available. I'm pretty sure this was logged at the time, and might be the last entry.

The engineers turned up with a cherry-picker first thing the following morning and completed the installation... hence my queries re activation and any subsequent action I need to take.

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Message 25 of 30

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. I can see that this has been raised for investigation and the latest update is that a fault has been detected at the pole and that a cherry picker is required. We will re-check again on Monday for any additional updates.

Thanks

0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 26 of 30

There is a WPS button, plus ports for broadband, ethernet (x4), and WAN. I don't see anything I would recognise as a voice port... or a model number. It is a Sagecom router (don't know if that helps).

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Message 27 of 30

Morning,

Can I just confirm, does the router have a voice port on the back? The model number will be on the back of the router (we have 2 different wifi hubs)

Thanks

0 Likes

Kincavel
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 28 of 30

There are four green lights on the ONT, and I'm using a TalkTalk wifi hub.

Kevin Snowdon
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 29 of 30

Hello,

What lights are on the ONT at the moment? Which router are you using (make and model)

Thanks