cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Gradually Decreased (SLOW) Speed - 2nd Forum Created Hoping For Help.

eda4359
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

Let me start without beating around the bush. I'm tired typing with the CS in the chat because it doesn't lead to anything and only wastes 2 hours of getting in touch with the person on the other end, on for both sides. 

I understand the procedures from point 1 to 10, but it doesn't help, it won't help because it is besides the factual situation. Why do I keep getting told on testing the Wi-Fi at home if the issue is in the telephone line. Some time ago we have had an "engineer" with TalkTalk and after testing the line, he concluded that there was a problem with the line, some 'low frequency earth' or something along the line. Then he stated that a visit from an Open Reach Engineer was required. He was supposed to make an appointment on the behalf of us but unfortunately, it didn't work out because we had to book an appoitment with the OR ourselves.

Open Reach also doesn't know what's going on and what's wrong, but somehow the average speed of 250Mb/s - 300Mb/s, I don't believe in miracles, unfortunately, but there must be some logical reason in this drop in speed. We signed a Fibre 250 contract and it looks like Fibre 150 to me, but we pay as for Fibre 250. Recently, we don't even get the guaranteed minimum speed, when signing the contract the minimum guaranteed speed was 183Mb/s and after 3 months someone changed it to 129Mb/s without our knowledge. Was only discussed in the chat the contract will be renewed and not involving a reduction in the guaranteed speed. I have the chat saved as evidence. I will only add that for the first 10 months of the contract the speed was excellent, forwarding up to 300Mb/s. 

At home we have a G.fast modem model MT992 and a router from TalkTalk model sagemcom FAST5364-3.T8

Now, for a few days after the last chat with CS, by some miracle, everytime i want to check the internet speed, I receive some 'error'. I don't want to believe it that it is a coincidence and TalkTalk can't fix it. I think it's more likely that someone simply blocked it on our account so that there would be no trace in the speed test history.

So according to Ofcom's website, if TalkTalk cannot deliver the minimum speed, I have the right to withdraw from the contract without paying a penalty or to reach an agreement. To reduce the costs. Monthly which is 40 pounds.

I don't understand why TalkTalk treats its customers this way, but I hope karma comes back. We were not even offered to replace the Router and when we asked for an engineer from OR during the last chat with CS, we were refused because it was supposedly not required. However, I would like to see an engineer because I know that they can reset something in the box.

I will be grateful for your help and will continue the topic until the contract is terminated or the problem is resolved. I'm stubborn.

By the way, We have no way to check the noise on the line because we don't have a landline. 

Thank you, Best Regards.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi eda4359,

Apologies, my mistake, that was a typo, it should have read "wouldn't be charged if there's a fault found on the line" - I've now corrected it, apologies for any confusion

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

Wait what? so if the engineer finds a problem on our line, means I have to pay, but if he doesn't find anything, the visit is free, right? Am I understanding this correctly? because if so, you have a strange policy.  In that case, I will ask for a Open Reach engineer as far as I know, is free. 

Talk Talk once scammed us out of 75 pounds of our hard earned money for nothing. An engineer from Talk Talk came, did a line test and it turned out there was an error, and he said that he cannot do anything because it has to be fixed by the open reach, the whole visit lasted 15 minutes, nothing was done and to the bill added 75 pounds. 

If you have a problem with mobile network, who do you report it to? most likely to the provider right?  and you are counting on help because there is a problem. It's the same for us, the broadband doesn't work as it should be and we still paying same amount, even though we have half as much as in the contract, right?

It is the provider's responsibility to fix a problem for which the custommer is not responsible. I have nothing to do with the line.

Thank you for your understanding. 

All the best and please let me know.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Hi eda4359,

DLM isn't the problem, it's just doing it's job (maintaining a stable connection with low error count) The engineer will need to investigate what's causing the issues that are causing DLM to change the profile.

I'm sorry but we can't book the engineer unless you confirm that you accept potential engineer charges but you wouldn't be charged if there's a fault found on the line.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

I do not confirm nor accept of anything potential engineers charges. i will not be paying that. Because why should I get charged? Also previously, throughout customer service chat i have been booked a free of charge for an open reach engineer x2. Therefore, i would demand a professional engineer without charge; expecting the same again. The line faulty is not my cause but yours. Also i'm asking for an open reach engineer and not no talktalk engineer as open reach has the access to DLM and the talktalk engineer won't help as they have limited access that won't do anything. I am tired that this is on-going for the past 3 weeks still without a positive solution, i am not going to get charged.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

OK if you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

I wonder if it's the DLM because for about 10 months everything was fine, speed was up to 300Mb/s.

If you can arrange engineer visit than I would say, yes please. 

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 15

OK thanks. There isn't really any point resetting DLM as it will just drop the speed again. To investigate further we will need to arrange an engineer visit, would you like us to do this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

I'm not able to check because unfortunately, we do not physically have a landline phone. We only need the line for broadband. 

Any chance to reset or exchange this DLM unit? Please. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Hi eda4359,

Line test is passing but your the line management system (DLM) has been moving your in stages to slow and slower line profiles. DLM does this if the number of disconnections and/or errors exceed a certain number in a given amount of time.

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 15

It will be tomorrow at the earliest.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

eda4359
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 15

I just hope it gets fixed because I don't understand what happened to cause the speed to drop so drastically.

Hopefully they will contact with me asap. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 15

Well if that is at the G.Fast modem, that is slow for your speed. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 15

Hi @KeithFrench

Thank you for your replay.

I just did it on my laptop and the speed can be seen in the attached screenshot.

Thanks.

Zrzut ekranu 2024-02-17 140154.png
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

Hi @eda4359 

Do you have a wired (Ethernet) device that you can connect to the G.Fast modem in place of your router & do a speed test from there? If so, what speeds are you getting?

Keith

0 Likes