cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

How fast is fast?

Greml1n
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 15 of 15

My mother pays for  TalkTalk ‘fast’ broadband, but the download speed is only 4mbps. Is this really ‘fast’ broadband? There is nothing on the account to say how fast it should be. When I phone they want me there, to do another test (200 miles away) but won’t give me a definition of ‘fast’

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi Greml1n

I've optimised the connection and the line is now in sync at 7mb.

I'm also sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can check/confirm the predicted speed range for the line.

Thanks

Debbie

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 15

@Greml1n, thanks for checking that and confirming that the speeds are below the guaranteed minimum. 

Please do wait for staff assistance Friday, during the day, or after the holiday.

Re the details: it was the full completion with phone number that mattered. Sorted!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Thank you. 
I didn’t do anything re my name so I don’t know why it changed

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Thank you. 
The speed to her router is less than half the guaranteed speed. 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 15

Your details are now showing correctly,  @Greml1n.

They had not previously saved / updated.

Should all be fine now for staff looking into this for you. Your mother's router needs to be kept switched on unless told otherwise by staff.

They'll run tests to check the line and look at stats. Sometimes getting to the bottom of any problem might require plugging in directly at a test socket. Impossible for you from a  distance of 200 miles.

Staff will reply either Friday or after the Bank Holiday weekend. 

Please wait for them to reach your thread and respond before posting further, to keep this moving forward in the queue for attention. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

OK, make sure it is her phone number which is entered in your personal details so that the support team can identify the account and check.

"Fast" broadband can literally be anything between 1 and 20Mbps, the actual speed is largely determined by distance and quality of line between the telephone exchange and your mother's home. 

Message 7 of 15

I’m sorry but I have no idea what you mean. My name/avatar is at the top of my post - Gremlin

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 15

That's all fine re nominated user etc then. You still need to go via your avatar/name; settings and add details. 

Staff can't identify either of you without this information. 

They cannot define "fast", for the reasons given above - the behaviour of each line is unique and dependent on too many factors. You need to accept the fact that it is merely a sales title.

Compared with 20 years ago, everything is "fast".....

It can't be an absolute concept, @Greml1n.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 15

Mother can’t do anything as she has Alzheimer’s. I look after the phone account from 200 miles away. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

We can’t find the guaranteed minimum speed. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15
  • I am the nominated person on the account. My mother has Alzheimer’s so I deal with her account. They just won’t commit themselves to defining ‘fast’. 
0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 15

@Greml1n, when staff reach this they will need to deal with the account holder. 

Best to add your own details in Personal Information and your mother's details in Private Notes. SAVE CHANGES. 

You may also be asked further security checks. Better long term if you can become a "nominated user" etc.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 15

Fast Broadband is the most basic form that Talktalk offers, @Greml1n. it evolved out of "Simply Broadband" several years ago. 

I am on it and was struggling along at times. After engineer visits in the past couple of years it's now back up to the best it has been (over 15 years' timescale) but mostly it was above its minimum guaranteed speed. 

When you do the check in service centre, anything below the minimum guaranteed speed shown there probably warrants attention from an engineer visit. Staff can help check whether anything above that could be sorted without the need for a call out.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 14 of 15

Hi @Greml1n,

If she goes to the Service Centre there will be an option to run a speed test, the results page will also tell her what speed she should be expecting, and how the speeds she is getting compare to that expected speed.

The speed someone can get is totally dependent on the length and quality of their own individual phone line, so there is no single answer as to what speed is good or bad, it will be different for everyone.