cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

How to have static ip addresses assigned by Sagem supplied Sagem 5364 router

JohnAaronRose
Participant
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

I haven't found a way for the TalkTalk supplied Sagem 5364 router to assign static NAT (i.e. internal network) ip addresses to computers etc. It has an option to make static an ip address it decides to assign. Anybody found a way?

PS above is confirmed by the article at
https://www.itwriting.com/blog/10843-talktalks-new-sagemcom-fast-5364-router-and-wifi-hub.html 

John
0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Thanks, Keith. I understand now why I don't see my web server's index.html page when I connect to my router from my desktop (linked by ethernet). No worries about my domain (it's actually a free dynu URL) as it's meant to be public and since there's nothing private on the nginx root directory. I also use the particular computer (on which the web server resides) for a WireGuard VPN & and for X2Go to control it from my regular desktop computer with Samba on it for access to its files from every other computer etc on my home network and for an FTPSecure server to be able to provide files from it when working remotely. It's

amazing how useful these 8+year old Intel Celeron computers are for tasks like these!

John
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 13

How are you trying to access this, is it from another device locally connected to your router? If so TalkTalk blocks all traffic that goes out from your router to the internet and back in again, as they consider this a security vulnerability. I normally test things like this on a smartphone, having first disconnected it from the WiFi & use mobile data. If you need to access it locally, just use the webserver's private IP address (typically 192.168.1.X). However, I tried your domain & connected no problem to your temporary home page:-

Welcome to the Rose Server. This is the dummy index page.

I will now delete your domain from your post to protect your privacy.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Private Message

Message 3 of 13

OK, Keith, I now understand about the Sagem's router NAT ip address allocation methods. Another problem I have is that since I moved to TalkTalk from Shell Energy (which actually uses the TalkTalk infrastructure) my personal Web Server  no longer works. At first, I put it down to my changing my  web server's public https URL of https://xxxxxxxx (e.g. due to Certbot's certificate or router port forwarding or nginx configuration) but I've now eliminated all those . I noticed that the admin of the Sagem router has a Firewall medium level setting of "WAN->LAN Block All below NETBIOS". As NETBIOS is 137 & 138, I changed the level to Low which is "WAN->LAN Allow All": but it made no difference. Any ideas?

PS my 10 year old 'Shell Energy' Technicolour router no longer works with TalkTalk's broadband. Any recommendations on a replacement?

John
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 13

The Sagemcom doesn't support dynu.com as a DDNS client, the only free one is No-IP (providing you renew the No-IP hostname every 30 days). If you want to carry on with dynu.com, then you will have to see if they do a client that you can install on a PC of yours.

To reserve a DHCP address other than the one currently allocated (assuming firmware V136), go to:-

Dashboard > Manage my devicesManage Advanced Settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub > LAN IPv4

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

I already installed the appropriate Port Forwarding rules which I use on my personal Server's HTTPS under Nginx as well as WireGuard  (as  my own VPN as I'm too mean to pay for a commercial VPN as well as not trusting them) for secure internet browsing & banking etc when away from home and FTPS for secure access to files on the Server running vsftpd.

I use a DDNS provider (dynu.com) already running ddclient on my Server but I haven't seen where the router can be configured to act as the client for a DDNS provider. Where is that?

Samba is version 4 that being the standard on Ubuntu 20.04 & Xubuntu 20.04.

Not yet sure how to change wife's Laptop to use a NAT ip address that I want rather than the one allocated by the Router as that ip address is currently taken by my grandson's Windows computer: only piece of MS's hardware & software in the hosue. You might alraedy have worked out that I hate MS!

John
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 13

What version of Samba are you using a s V1 is so insecure it should no longer be used, from memory you should use V3?

To add the PF rules, there are two ways to do this:-

Method 1

Go to:-

Dashboard > Manage my devices > Advanced Settings

Click on the device that you wish to forward to.

Then go to:-

Port Forwarding > Add Rule

This will populate the Internal Host box of the Add Rule screen with that device's IP address.

Method 2

Dashboard > Manage my devices > Manage Advanced Settings > Access Control > Port Forwarding. Then click Add Rule > Add Rules Manually

Either way, this should do for some of its ports, the rest you can follow suit:-

Samba PF.png

Whilst it is not possible to have a static public IP address on a residential package (only Business offer this), you can simply use a DDNS provider that is compatible with the router & then configure the router as the client for your chosen DDNS provider.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

I do not currently want to make the Router's public ip address static though I would be interested if this can be done.
I use Samba e.g. for browsing through my Desktop computer's folders from other computers (e.g. my wife's laptop).: this requires a static NAT ip address for my computer on my home network. I also use FTPS for similar task when wanting to FTP: same requirement as per Samba.

John
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 13

No worries, but if you can clarify exactly what you want to achieve, then I can help you.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Apologies Keith. I misunderstood your message as coming from Michelle-TalkTalk.

John
0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

@michelle I do not currently want to make the Router's public ip address static though I would be interested if this can be done.
I use Samba for example browsing through my Desktop computer's folders from other computers (e.g. my wife's laptop).: this requires a static NAT ip address for my computer on my home network.

John
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Hi @JohnAaronRose 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with this, but I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve. Do you mean that you want to apply some port forwarding to route an external connection from the internet through to a particular local device? If so, yes it supports this no problem & if you give me full details of your scenario, then I will be able to help you. Alternatively, or in addition, are you asking if you can make the router's public IP address static?

Keith

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hello,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any assistance with this please?

Thanks