cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Internet drops out multiple times a day. Do I need a new router?

Andrew_1005
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

Hi. My internet connection has been dropping out 1-10 times per day for over a month now. I have spent hours and hours chatting with the ‘help’-bots and phone support on multiple occasions with no result. I am desperate for help (and internet) and extremely frustrated. Can you please try to help?

The drop outs are intermittent and there is no consistent pattern, but it consistently drops out multiple times a day. The light on the router stays white, suggesting it is still connected, but the connection is lost on all devices, whether connected by wifi or ethernet.

The chat-bots say that my router appears to be functioning fine, that the line connection is fine. But clearly something is not fine. On their advice I have:

1) Restarted the router. This usually gets the connection going again, but sometimes only for a few minutes. I do this multiple times a day.

2) Hard reset the modem by pressing and holding the reset button for 30 seconds. The result is the same a 1). It usually gets the connection going again, but usually only for a short while.

3) Turn off the router for 30 minutes and restart. The result is the same a 1). It usually gets the connection going again, but usually only for a short while.

My router is the Talktalk Wifi Hub, Sagemcom FAST 5364_3.00. Version SG4K10002829t. I have had the router for 4 years, and have just signed another new contract. I tried asking the helpdesk if it may be that the router needs replacing, but they refused to acknowledge this.

Logging into the router suggests that it is working correctly, even when the connection has been lost, so clearly something is not right.

Could it be that there is a bug with the router and it just needs replacing?

I can’t just be left with this situation and told that there is no problem, as there clearly is. Please can you help?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Andrew

Thanks for confirming the details.

I have arranged the Openreach engineer visit for Friday 20/01 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Hi Andrew

No problem. I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi Debbie, Yes please, request an openreach visit.

Message 4 of 14

Hi Andrew

The line test is clear but I can see re connections.

Would you like me to arrange an Openreach engineer visit?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi Andrew

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I'm just running some tests now and I will post back shortly.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi, I'm sorry to report that the new router has not solved the problem. The connection continues to drop out intermittently. This started the day after installing the new router and has dropped out all over the place. I have been testing/observing over the past week, trying to figure out if there has been a pattern to it, but I can't find any consistency to it. I have also tried connecting the router to the test socket with a micro filter, to no effect.

All devices in the house lose connection. However when I log into the router, it always says that it is still connected with no issue.

Can you please offer any more suggestions?

Is it likely to be an issue with the lines outside the house? Even though the 'test' says they're ok?  Could they have been effected by the winter weather? Water ingress??

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Andrew

That's great news 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Debbie 

Message 8 of 14

Hi Debbie, Thanks for updating the firmware. This has worked and my VPN is working again. Result! 👍 Thanks so much. 😊

Message 9 of 14

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

I've now made the change to your router firmware, please can you retest and let us know if your VPN now works ok?

Debbie

0 Likes

Andrew_1005
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 14

Hi Karl,

The new router has arrived. Thank you for your quick action on sending that out. The internet is currently working, but will need to check that it stays on over the next few days to feel convinced that the issue is solved. 

However, my VPN connection no longer works. This was a problem I had with the previous router and you were able to fix it easily with a firmware udpate.  Current firmware is version SG4K100136. 

Can you please install the firmware update for me?

Many thanks, Andrew

Message 11 of 14

No Problem 🙂

Get back to me when the router arrives and let me know if it helps.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Thanks Karl, you're a champion. I can't believe l how different and helpful your response has been compared to the chat-bots. Much appreciated.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi

Speeds and line test are fine. I'll get a router out to you so we can see if this is the problem.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes